Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Supermom, Superdad

In my class today, my teaching partner and I asked our class about the inequalities experienced by 19th-century American women and 21st-century American women. It was an interesting moment in my teaching career: for the first time in almost 8 years of teaching, I heard female students state that feminism has a purpose and that women are still struggling for equality, although at a much different level than in the 19th-century. I was equally thrilled and floored, since in my experience, most young women (i.e., 18-22) want nothing to do with feminism and are more than happy to believe that we've achieved equality. Several students pointed out that while women have achieved a great deal, most mothers still haven't achieved equality in parenting. As the discussion moved on to the day's reading, I continued contemplating that in the back of my mind.

When I got home later, I asked C about his feelings on equal parenting, which in all honesty is not something I have really contemplated before. We have, I believe, one of the most equal relationships I've seen, especially in terms of household chores. While I do cook more, he cleans more. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ran the vacuum cleaner or the last time I had to ask him to do it. With the pregnancy, our roles have shifted somewhat; there are things I just can't do right now, things that I typically do. We've also discussed how I won't be able to do much in the first few weeks after the baby's birth as I will be putting in 24 hours a day breastfeeding (I may be exaggerating, but I am also preparing myself for the worst-case scenario). I had no worries until we started talking, and C expressed a few worries of his own.

C has a particularly difficult academic year ahead of him; he's teaching full-time, defending his dissertation in January, and going on the job market. In the middle of all of that, we're having a baby. He is beginning to feel the stress, which I hadn't realized. He is genuinely concerned that he won't be able to be involved as much as he'd like to be and as much as he knows I'm expecting him to be (the guy, who folds my underwear and puts them away unasked, has set up some pretty high expectations). I think he is mostly concerned that he won't have enough time to bond with the baby and with us as a family. How do I assuage those fears? How do I express to my slightly anal husband that if we end up eating off of paper plates for a month that won't be the end of the world? How do I let him know that it is ok to forego office hours for the end of the semester, if doing so helps him maintain some sanity? How do I get him to understand that I don't expect every aspect of parenting to be equal? I don't expect to be Supermom--most days I'm convinced I'm going to irreparably harm our child in some way--and I don't expect him to be Superdad. I just want us to figure this out together.

4 comments:

Amy Reads said...

I think that with you and C, it will end up naturally balancing itself. He will be very busy, yes, but I feel that means he will *make* time for the bebe, the same way we have to *make* time to have lunch together, or do laundry, or date nights, what have you.
I'm not using these examples to trivialize the dad/bebe bonding experience; rather, I'm pointing to the way that we all make time to do the things we want to do. C will most likely make time for *just* him and the baby. Mommies get to stay home or go out to lunch or get a pedicure!
I have utter faith in C; he should have it in himself :)
Ciao,
Amy

M said...

Thanks, Amy. That means a lot. I have faith in him too. I think he's just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. He admitted last night that he'd rather be finalizing all things baby, but he wants to get as much work done as possible so he can just be with us.

Southpaw said...

Trust me when I say that that baby will make all of those anxieties he is having disappear (she or he will of course unintentionally bring others). But, the dishes and office hours (and *cough* even the dissertation) will not stand in the way of daddy-time.

L said...

I think you'll make it work. My second son was born a few months before my husband defended. He accepted a post-doctoral fellowship in another city and we sold a house, bought another, and moved, all with a newborn and a toddler. I had the help of my parents who were able to come live with us for a few months, but still, we managed OK...

Anyway, what I wanted to say is, in a sense it's easier that all this is going on while the baby's still young. Of course it's excellent when the father can spend a lot of time with the new baby, but when the babies older and more attached to the parents -- that's when they feel a "blow" when one of the parents is not around as much, and this is not going to be the case for you. When things calm down for your family a bit in the Spring then the baby will be older and in the really "fun" stage and hopefully C will have more time to enjoy him/her.

As for managing the household, hopefully you'll be able to do it. Our situation is very similar, I do more cooking, he does more cleaning and tidying up (I'm very disorganized and sloppy).