Thursday, April 28, 2011

We may have found . . .

the perfect house.  Seriously.  It is walking distance to one of the two schools we want the boys to go to, as well as to CU.  It is an older home that has lots of updates.  In fact, I don't think we'd need to do anything with it.  The issues: it is for sale by owner (and I have no idea how that works), and it is about $15,000 out of our price range.  It is on a really busy street, and it is set back from the road.  I have no idea how Archer saw the for sale sign.  Because it isn't in the MLS system, I can't tell how long it's been on the market.  Archer has called our mortgage broker to see what the likelihood of us getting approved for slightly more is, and we are making an appointment to go see it.  This is probably a bad idea, but if we could get the owners to come down on the price . . . I'll stop there.  I don't want to like this house any more than I already do.

3 comments:

L said...

Oh dear!! My fingers are crossed for you! I know how tough it is to want a house and be afraid you may not get it. Did you see inside already? Wow, that's SO exciting!!!

AcadeMama said...

I'm sure you know this, but if you haven't already signed a contract with a real estate agent, you should. They will work in your interest only, and they can give you great advice on where to start the price negotiations. For example, the house we love was listed at $245,900. We offered
$220K, which was approximately 90% of the asking price (the number we read was the minimum you should offer in order to not "offend" sellers). We ended up settling at $223K. Was the house over-priced to begin with? Yes. But is it still a good deal? Absolutely!! Especially now that we know the repairs needed aren't that costly and we aren't required to put any money down b/c we're using a VA loan. Good luck with your perfect house!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, what an exciting series of posts, can't wait to hear more. Good luck!