Friday, January 04, 2013

The first step

Keeping with my theme, the first thing I need to "let go" is disappointment over certain relationships, namely the one I have with my father.  I could write a lengthy post about my dad, whom I love so very much.  Then I'd end up in tears, and I'd be dwelling on things.  Instead I want to write a few things that I need to remember about my dad that will help me let go of my disappointment about our relationship.
  • I am an adult, and I am as  responsible for the state of our relationship as he is.
  • My dad is not at the place he thought he'd be in at 64, either financially or in terms of his health.
  • My dad comes from a time when the father's primary responsibility was to be the "breadwinner."  For a variety of reasons, he feels like he has fell short in that respect.  Almost everything he does is colored by this belief.
  • My dad did not have a good relationship with his own father.
  • My dad (who is technically my stepfather) has never lived with children younger than 5 for an extended period of time.  He truly has no idea how to relate to young children.  He also believes children should just do as they are told without question.
  • My dad will always rely on my mother to convey things to me; he doesn't want to engage in any sort of emotional exchange because he is afraid I will see him get emotional.
  • My dad does the best he can.  Often that isn't enough, but I need to remember that he firmly believes that.

No comments: