Tuesday, June 25, 2013

PPD

I've been having a rough few weeks.  One minute I'm fine, the next I want to cry.  Most moments I manage to keep it together, but there have been a few days in which I've just cried for a while.  I am, as I've blogged before, a crier, but it isn't like me to sob for an entire morning.  Archer asked me how I was doing yesterday, and I said, I feel like I'm having good days and bad days.  He asked if he could make an observation, and I said yes.  He said that my cycles are more regular following George's birth than following Wild Man's and Bear's.  He has noticed that I am more uneven than usual about a week before my period starts and at least three days into my period.  I immediately knew he was right, and now I'm trying to keep track of my cycles.  Prior to having Wild Man, I was on the pill, and I was also on the pill immediately following his birth as well as Bear's.  While I primarily took the pill for birth control, I found that it helped regulate the hormonal shifts I seem to be experiencing lately.  I told Archer I may go back on it for that reason, but then I don't want to do that.  So I started doing some research.  Now I wonder if I don't have a late-onset PPD.  I know that mothers can experience PPD up to a year following the birth of a child, and I'm still within that time frame for George's birth.  But honestly, all the descriptions are so different.  Do I have the Baby Blues (a term I hate, by the way, as it is just so dismissive) or more severe depression?  Or am I just tired and struggling to compensate for a lack of sleep?  Most of the time, I feel like myself.  I feel good.  But several times a week I have an urge to just cry.  But then, so do most mothers I know.  I mean, parenting is a hard, hard job.  It is exhausting and draining, and it can be demoralizing.  It's full of high-highs and low-lows.  Mothering is an emotional roller coaster in and of itself.

2 comments:

rented life said...

I'm worse before and just into my period as well. However despite that, and despite the pill being a little helpful with some of that, it also made me a little numb the rest of the time, which is why I went off to begin with.

PPD is a fear of mine--I know I have depression, I've had it for a very long time. I already cry a few times a week. I know I'm not adding anything helpful. Just that I understand your post.

M said...

It's nice to be understood. I've started charting my cycle again, as I'm fairly certain the emotional responses are hormonal. That doesn't make me feel any better though; instead, I feel like I can't manage my own body. If it gets worse, I'll talk to my doctor. Medication would be an absolute last resort for me. I've seen what it can do to people first hand (my mom is on so many meds and rarely has an emotional reaction to anything) that I'd prefer not to go down that road.