Monday, October 07, 2013

The world is made for big breasted women . . .

I am a small breasted woman.  In fact, I only have cleavage when I'm pregnant or first breast feeding.  I've been nursing George for well over a year now, so my breasts are back to their normal size.  I'm at the point where I no longer need breast pads, nor does my breast size fluctuate throughout the day.  George generally only nurses in the evening and perhaps once during the night, so I'm not producing a lot of milk.  Given that, I'm ready to stop wearing nursing bras, even if I'm not ready to wean him yet.  I last bought bras when I was pregnant, so I don't have any bras that fit.  Friday I went shopping.  My demands are pretty simple.  I wanted to buy three or four bras, in my size, that will give me some lift and a bit of coverage.  In all honesty, I want bras that prevent my students and my colleagues from seeing my nipples.  In my mind, that seems like a fairly simple desire.

As I tried bras on, it became clear that I am now almost a full cup size smaller than I was before I started nursing George.  (As an aside that means I've lost almost two cup sizes since Wild Man was born).  I now wear a Double A, for those of you who are interested.  I quickly discovered that I could buy any bra I wanted in any size from 34B to 42DD.  But the Double A is elusive.  The sales person at one lingerie store told me it's easier to go to a specialty store to buy bras in Es, Fs, or Gs (for which I am well aware women have to pay exorbitant prices) than it is to buy Double As.  I was advised to order them online.  But I want to try them on first, I explained.  She suggested I go to the girls' department.  Needless I left the store.

*And before anyone suggests it, I did try on my "sister size," which is apparently a size smaller in width, but a cup larger.  That size didn't fit very well.


3 comments:

L said...

thank you for posting this!!

You know that I, more than anyone else, really really hear you!! The worst part for me about this issue is the feeling that nobody really understands how hard it is not to find just basic bras that will fit us. Other people (women) just seem to hate us because we're skinny. Sigh...

For a while I was buying bras for girls, but those are just so flimsy! (and it's hard to find them in 34 -- my ribcage expanded after I had babies!). Now I just wear bras that are too big for me (regular A, since AAs don't exist) which is utterly annoying. Sigh.

I kind of like the Target brand Gilligan & O'Malley, their A is not that big -- Targets will open there in CA this month, no? G&Os are not the best quality & won't last forever, but they fit OK & come in pretty patters & colors.

rented life said...

I liked that same Target brand L mentioned when I was smaller. (Their other stuff like sleep wear is comfy too!) I'm boobalicious now and very ready to go down a size or two.

I personally hate buying bras with excess padding. I want some padding, but not so much that it's like boobs have already been installed in the bra.

Prudence said...

And yet I have trouble finding bras and I am a 42C.

I also wish there were more racerbacks offered in more sizes.

I third L on G&O at Target and I like Target's sports bras too. I like Kohls as well.