Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Things about motherhood no one can prepare you for #3

As C, S, and I slowly establish a routine (notice I didn't say schedule!), these things aren't coming to me as quickly. My latest revelation is that no one can prepare you for how fast your child grows and changes. S is now almost 7 weeks old, and he is a completely different baby. He has gained 4-plus pounds, grown at least 3 inches, and changed so fast. He can hold his head up and is kicking his legs like crazy. He is also sleeping better, nursing more efficiently, and cooing all the time. While I'm so thrilled to get to know his emerging personality (he is both stubborn and demanding, as things must happen on his time table!), I do miss the little guy we brought home from the hospital. I am enjoying be able to put him down more often as I can get things done, but I am a little sad that he no longer feels the need to be held constantly. I'm learning that motherhood is about love, acceptance, and moving on. I don't have much time to dwell on how fast he is changing since I have to be on my toes to keep up with him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes (deep sigh) change. How fast they grow and change -- this must be the hardest thing parenthood entails. Wow, if you're feeling like that now that he's 7 weeks, you can count on being even more sad and nostalgic later!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way everyday! On the one hand, I love watching him change and learn. On the other hand, I know how much I'm going to miss all of the little baby cuddles when he gets older. Maybe *that* is why people have more kids! Uh oh...

AcadeMama said...

This won't ease the situation when the time comes, and I hate to be the bearer of unfortunate news, but it gets worse. I sobbed uncontrollably the first I took my first daughter to Kindergarten. When she graduated Kindergarten, I sobbed equally hard BEFORE the children even got on stage.