Friday, January 26, 2007

Writing and guilt

I am longing to write, and I want to write more than just a blog entry, more than just a lengthy email to a friend, more than just an announcement to my students, more than just a travel request to my department. I want to begin drafting a chapter of my dissertation. I know what I want to write and how I want to write it, but I need several uninterrupted hours to sit down and do it. I spent an hour and a half formulating an entire section in my head last night at 3 am while S nursed. Once he fell back asleep (after 25 minutes or so) I even contemplated getting up and working, something I never, never thought about before he was born. But, as usual, my mind wandered to something else, and although it took me over an hour to fall back to sleep, I didn't think about writing again. I've resigned myself to the reality that I won't likely get any real writing done until he starts daycare in a few weeks, and I'm feeling a tremendous sense of guilt over that. I am so conflicted about daycare. I have learned in the past three months that I am not stay at home mom material. In the past three months that I've been a SAHM, I have developed the highest esteem for SAHMs; I want to want to be one, but I can't even manage to take care of S all day long and throw dinner in the crock pot most days. I don't have it in me to be a SAHM because I don't think I'd be a good one. I'm a perfectionist, and in the past three months I haven't found time to dust my house while taking care of my infant let alone do all the other stuff my mom did as a SAHM. There hasn't been any homemade bread for C or fancy dinners. And I feel like I should be doing all things domestic now that I'm home most of the time, but I end up sitting at my desk, nursing S, staring longingly at a huge pile of books while the dust continues to accumulate on my bookshelves. If I were working more, I feel like I'd have an excuse for not doing all those things, not that C expects or wants them. I have this image of a SAHM in my head, and I haven't lived up to it.

So I look forward to writing when he starts daycare, and then I feel guilty for that. I don't want S to go to daycare, not even part-time. I never expected to feel so conflicted about daycare; it was always understood that our children would go to daycare for some period. I've found one I like, and I've talk to the teachers at length. I know he'll be happy there, and he'll even benefit from the interaction with other kids. But I feel like a horrible mother for sending him. I feel like I should be able to be take care of S, write a brilliant dissertation, and make homemade bread for C (who has never once expressed an interest in or a desire for homemade bread). As with every part of my life, I know my expectations of myself are too high. I want to be able to do it all and to do it all really well. So right now the closest I can come to writing is this blog. When S starts daycare, I know I'll spend the first few days crying, and then maybe I can get past my guilt and start writing again.

4 comments:

Lilian said...

Yes, I think you're in the right path, starting with the blog :) I say that because it has helped me immensely. I don't think I'm SAHM material either, but I've been pretending to be one for a while (that is, when my parents aren't here to run the household for us). Oddly, now that my son is getting to school age, I'm feeling conflicted about it (as you already know) and even thinking about home schooling him.

I hope things work out for you and that you can start writing right away after S goes to daycare. It would be great if we didn't need to feel torn and guilty, wouldn't it? But I guess that's part of the package of being mothers.

Poetiq Expression said...

I can only encourage you and say you are a great individual. I know it must be difficult raising children, and going to graduate school. What are you receiving your Ph.D in?

Trew Life Advice

M said...

Thanks, Lilian. It always helps to hear from you.

wwwmama said...

You are doing great. Keep telling yourself that, and eventually you will believe it. I know because reading your post is like going back in time to the early days of parenting my two year old. It's so hard, and you do need time to meet your own needs too. You're doing great!