Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Doctor Frustration

S has had a relapse, and I find myself somewhat frustrated with his doctor, whom I actually like a lot. Yesterday afternoon, he started running a fever again, and then he developed a rash. After a phone call to the nurse on-call (who was actually helpful for a change!) and one to my sister-in-law, who has 2 boys of her own, I determined that S likely had a sinus infection and could even have strep throat. I resigned myself to the fact that I couldn't do anything about it until this morning as the doctor's office was already closed.

Skip ahead to 1:00 am. My baby boy wakes up screaming and is on fire. He had a temp of 104.2. I realize that isn't so high for a baby, but fevers scare me. My older brother had viral meningitis at 5 months old. He had a fever of 105 for over 24 hours before doctors were able to bring it down, and as a result, he is profoundly deaf. He leads a happy, productive life, but his "disability" (I hate that word, but I digress) is a result of a fever. Needless to say, I wanted to take S straight to the emergency room. Luckily C's cooler head prevailed. He convinced me to give S a dose of Motrin and wait 20 minutes; if the fever hadn't come down, he promised we would take him. The fever came down in 20 minutes, and S finally went back to sleep. We got him to the doctor first thing this morning, and he has a sinus infection. It seems his nasty cold (which he has had for almost 3 weeks) turned into a sinus infection.

I am frustrated with his doctor and my health insurance for several reasons. First, I don't feel like she listened to my concerns at his original appointment for the cold 3 weeks ago. That said, I know I am likely responding to my irritation and frustration at his being sick for so long. Lack of sleep probably doesn't help anyway. I'm irritated with my health insurance because I can only go to one clinic in town; none of the doctors in the practice (and they are all good doctors; I have few complaints about them) are on call after hours. If I have a question I have to call a nurse on-call. In the past, said nurse (it isn't always the same nurse) has been less than helpful and not at all reassuring. There are times I long for a practice that relies on an answering service. I want to leave a message and have a doctor call me back, especially if I think it is an emergency. My vet uses this method, but not my pediatrician. As I said, I was able to talk to a helpful nurse last night (only because I located a different phone number for the nurse on-call), and C was even able to get this nurse back on the phone when we had another question about an hour later. I could launch into a tirade about the poor health insurance graduate students have to put up with, but that isn't the case. I like my insurance, and I like our doctors. I hate the nurse on-call system. I'm hanging onto the "good" number and calling that one from now on. I'm so glad I've gotten into the habit of asking people their name because I plan to ask for the helpful nurse the next time I have to use the nurse on-call system.

Now S is happily playing, and I feel better knowing he feels better.

4 comments:

wwwmama said...

I loved my grad health insurance (but I don't qualify for it anymore because I can't afford it while I'm not teaching)...except for the fact that I was a commuter and had to drive over an hour for every appointment, including all my pedi appts and sick baby visits. How much did it suck to have to drive a sick baby that far for a check-up? A lot. And it certainly didn't motivate me to go to the doctor to be on the safe side when she was sick.

p-duck said...

It's more expensive, but the PPO plans to provide a lot of flexibility with doctors, etc.

Sorry to hear about the little guys sinus infection - as a fellow sufferer of sinus infections (Christmas was awful) I sympathize wholeheartedly and hope he feels better soon.

AcadeMama said...

Actually, the PPO plan my husband and I are enrolled in (the cheapest one) is only around $15/month, and we've had no problems getting E to see any of the doctors in the group practice we use as a family. They have an on-call/pager service for after hours, and they're open on Saturdays. On top of that, they told us soon after E was born that they try to take care of their "littlest" patients first, which made me feel really good about being able to E in even when the scheduling desk receptionist says they don't have any openings :)

L said...

You have every right to be frustrated, that's for sure! I'm glad you got the "good" phone number now.

I actually liked our healthy insurance as graduate students (I lost mine when we moved away -- and thank God my sons qualified for the free state sponsored insurance here in PA). We learned to value it fully only later, but as far as pediatric care is concerned, we just ADORED our pediatrician!! She was about our age and had a son only two months younger than our oldest son. We've missed her greatly these past 3 years.