Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My grandmother

My grandmother died on Monday morning.  She was 85 and had not been in the best of health; however, her death came as a bit of a shock.  On Friday evening, my aunt and uncle, with whom my grandparents live, took them out to dinner, at my grandmother's request.  When the returned home, my grandmother, who suffered from senility, complained of a headache and went to her room to change into her pajamas.  She passed out, and Aunt F went to her while my uncle called the paramedics.  They then called my other aunt, who is a cardiac care nurse, and she instructed Aunt F on how to administer CPR.  When the paramedics arrived, they had to intubate Gram, even though that is not something she would have wanted.  By late Saturday afternoon, it was apparent that Gram had suffered severe brain damage, likely due to being deprived of oxygen.  Ironically, her heart never stopped beating. 

Archer, the boys, and I left for the States on Sunday around 10:00 am.  By 8:30 Sunday night, I was sitting with my Gram, as I called her, holding her hand.  It was clear to me, however, that my Gram was not present, something my youngest aunt, Aunt S, wholeheartedly agreed with.  She had already discussed turning off Gram's ventilator with her siblings, including my mom, and they had all agreed, with deep reservations.  My mom arrived later that evening, around 10, and at mine and Aunt S's urging, my Gram was taken off the ventilator around 11:15 Sunday night, and she died at 5:50 Monday morning.  She was a great lady, who did not hesitate to tell you what she thought.  In fact, she strongly disapproved of many of my life choices, arguing that I didn't need to pursue my doctorate and that I needed to stay home with Wild Man and Bear.  As long as Archer had a good job, she argued there was no need for me to work, and certainly no need for me to be so educated, as she put it.  While she never hesitated to tell me these things, she also ended every conversation we had by saying, "I love you so much, M."  I know my Gram didn't approve of all my choices, but I never doubted how much she loved me and my boys. 

6 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to go to her, and that you have these pictures of your grandmother with the boys--they're priceless.

Anonymous said...

M, I am so sorry to hear this. If I can support you in any way, please let me know. Take care of yourself.

rented life said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for your families loss. How wonderful that she loved you and the boys so much.

L said...

Oh, I'm so sorry my friend! Thanks for sharing some photos of your grandma with us. I'm thinking of you and your family right now. May you find comfort in knowing that your grandma was a wonderful person who loved all of you.

AcadeMama said...

I'm so sorry for the tough decision you and your family had to make and for the loss of someone who clearly meant so much to you. The strong, forward women, who have taught us, rocked us, sang to and comforted us as children will never be forgotten, and we're blessed to have had them in our lives. Even more blessed if our own children get to meet them. Sending prayers of comfort to you.

M said...

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. They mean a lot to me.