Friday, August 17, 2012

Quiet

All of our family visitors have left, and as odd as this sounds, our house is quiet again.*  Yes, Wild Man and Bear make lots of noise, but it is noise I'm used to.  Slowly we're settling into a routine.  The hardest thing is that I'm nursing, and George is eating on demand.  I can be in the middle of cooking dinner or reading to Bear, and I suddenly have to get Archer to take over. He is doing a lot of the heavy lifting, so to speak, and that is frustrating for both of us for various reasons.  George is a laid-back baby, so that makes life a bit easier. 

*At some point I'll describe Yetta's less than fun visit, but for now I'll just be glad to have my house back.

2 comments:

AcadeMama said...

Nursing was the single hardest thing to do with my third child. I distinctly remember holding Amelia in one arm as she nursed, while I used the other to tend to whatever dinner I had going on the stove. She ate *constantly,* which made it even more difficult. One time, I nursed for almost 2 hours straight, and half of that was during one of Hannah's school plays! I nursed while shopping at Wal-Mart, during softball games, I even had to pull over while waiting for my food in a drive-through, just to nurse Amelia, and the other two kids had to just eat in the car and deal with it.

All of this is to say that I know exactly what you're going through, and it is horribly difficult. Ultimately, for all sorts of reasons, I couldn't do it [continue nursing] after the first month. I know you'll make it through, though, and Archer will probably need to get used to doing a little more of the heavy lifting for a while. As Hubby and I explained to people, going from 2 kids to 3 means going from a man-to-man defense to zone. Archer will get the sports reference :) You two are a great team!

M said...

I remember that you had an exceptionally hard time. So far George is proving to be relatively efficient, although he can nurse for an our at a time. I'm also lucky that it is the summer, so Archer is primarily working from home right now. Things will likely get more complicated once school is back in session. That said, I nursed both Wild Man and Bear till they were 19 months, so I hope to nurse George at least that long.