Friday, April 19, 2013

Getting out of the . . .

Facebook game.  I'm seriously thinking of shutting down my account.  I can't take it anymore.  I realize I post a lot of things that are political in content and that I occasionally engage in debates.  I do, however, try really, really hard to be respectful of others and their opinions.  I never take something someone else has posted and re-post it out of context; I feel that's disrespectful and obnoxious.  I wish I could say that others are extending the same level of respect to me.  I also really, really tired of having people who claim to know and love me label me as a "progressive" or a "liberal."  Yes, I proudly use both of those labels to describe myself, but I don't like having them used as pejoratives.  Really, I'm just tired.  If we can't even communicate with friends and family members in respectful ways on social media platforms, how can we expect our leaders to do so?

7 comments:

p-duck said...

I'd miss you on facebook : (

rented life said...

I'd miss you there too. If you leave, give us other options to get in touch! But I totally hear you. I've been changing how I use it and will be changing who shows up in my feed as well. Because I just can't deal with some people anymore. I've already set it up so people can't post on my wall and it was surprising--if people want to send me a message they will, and those who did said more than if they had just written on the wall.

M said...

Do you know how to prevent people from reporting things I post? That's the issue I am having.

rented life said...

Reporting you to facebook? I have a friend that's super techy, I'll ask her. She's amazing at finding answers.

L said...

Wow, reporting things as inappropriate or something? That's awful. I hope rented life's friend has a good suggestion.

Unknown said...

that is definitely weird. I follow a freelance writer's group and her posts got flagged (her name is carol tice, the group is freelance writers den). anyway, it took a lot of effort but FB realized some glitch was causing it.

I am sorry someone was flagging you, period. Nothing you post is bad.

M said...

To clarify, no one is flagging me. A family member is reposting a lot of the things I have been posting. Said person is taking things out of context and using them to call my beliefs into question. Said person also posts a lot of political content, and while I strongly disagree with almost everything s/he posts, I do not comment on the posts. I strive to be respectful, and I don't feel that I'm being given the same respect in return. I've changed the settings on my account, and I am not going to include this person on any future posts. It would be too complicated to delete this person altogether, so this is the solution I've come up with to keep my account but to have minimal interaction with this person, on FB at least.