Monday, May 06, 2013

In memory


A lot has happened since I last posted.  On April 20th, my grandfather, for whom Wild Man is named, died, just a few months shy of his 89th birthday. While his death was not unexpected, it was still shocking.  While I'm happy he is no longer missing my grandmother, who died 2 1/2 years ago, I am sad he is gone.  He was one of the few people I firmly believed loved me unconditionally.  Our relationship was easy.  He placed no demands on me.  He was just my grandfather.  He was always happen to see me and thrilled when I called him.  I was born on his birthday, and for that reason, I think we always shared a special bond. 

He was a coal miner for more than 30 years, so I wanted to share this image of him.  I don't associate him with the mines, as I knew a very different side of him.  I still think this image captures him as I remember him best, smiling, relaxed, calm.  He was a wonderful person, and I miss him very much.

1 comment:

L said...

That's a beautiful photo of your grandfather, thanks for sharing! I'm sorry he has died, but I'm glad that you had such a special bond with him. I don't have any more living grandparents and I know how sad it feels to lose a grandparent, but I think that by cherishing their memories we can keep them as part of us forever. I'm sure the memory of your grandfather will always be very special for you especially with the sharing of birthdays.