Tuesday, May 14, 2013

More than others

When I was working on my doctorate, I was fortunate enough to find my people.  By that I mean, I was in a place with like-minded people who were doing what I was doing.  I realize this is a side-effect of graduate work.  These people, however, were much more than an intellectual cohort, a term that gets bandied around these parts a lot.  They were, as I said, my people.  Initially, they were my friends, but they became my family.  We helped each other through a lot of shit.  Some academic, some not.  I miss these people, most of whom are now finished with their graduate degrees and now live all over the country, every. single. day.  Today, I am missing them more than I do most days.  And you know who you are.

2 comments:

p-duck said...

I keep judging the people I'm meeting by our old group of friends. I want intellectual, interesting, scholar, parents. They're harder to find than one might think. I also want that instant-or near instant-sense of community we had. We were lucky then and I miss everyone too.

Anonymous said...

I love you both. So, so much.