Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Baby Showers

Warning: this is a random thought.

I'm tired of baby showers! In the past 9 months, I've attended and help plan at least 8 baby showers (two of which were my own), and I'm simply tired of them. I don't mean to sound like a grouch, as I am actually happy to attend the shower and give my friends a gift for their new babies. I do wish, however, we could reinvent the baby shower, as they are all the same--even the ones I plan. I do not excuse myself from the boredom. I fully realize I am just as guilty--I cannot throw a creative baby shower to save my life. The ones I help plan end up like all the other ones--we eat cutsie finger foods, we play an annoying game or two, and then we open gifts, uttering the requiste oohs and aahs over them. The showers vary somewhat, mostly over the hosts' willingness or unwillingness to play the annoying games. One of my best friends is expecting her first child in October, and I am determined to make that baby shower different. How, you ask? I don't know--I presume a stripper and tequila shooters are out of the question.

5 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Words of wisdom from Sex and the City:

1) To paraphrase Samantha Jones's answer to Miranda Hobbes's (also paraphrased) question, "Who will I invite to my shower?": "All of those bitches who invited you to theirs."

2) To quote Charlotte York: "You have to open presents."

Anonymous said...

one of my showers had a fiesta theme, complete with margaritas (i was left out, but that was okay with me) and a pinata. the pinata was had random baby stuff in it (pacifiers and what not) in addition to the candy. and otherwise, there were no games. that one was actually pretty good.

L said...

HA!!! I can't stand typical baby showers -- particularly if they're only for women!

Long ago my mom reinvented baby and wedding showers -- both co-ed and centered in a question and answer game involving not only the parents or bride and groom to be but all those invited as well. I really enjoyed them, and tried to do the same for friends and family.

I have a list of questions that I created and used in two baby showers and I can email them to you if you want. (These questions are aimed at providing a kind of "thoughtful" part to what I think are very "superficial" showers.)

Literacy-chic said...

Isn't it just food & b/s, like any other party? ;)

wwwmama said...

Just focus on great food and drinks, make the gift-opening part go QUICKLY (or just don't do it at all, I mean seriously, who the hell really cares about seeing their gift being opened), and absolutely make it co-ed!