Saturday, August 18, 2007

To be or not to be. . .

Yesterday while finalizing his fall syllabi, C faced a problem he's never faced before: what does he want his students to call him? Now that he has finished his doctorate he wasn't sure what he wanted to be called: Dr. C or Prof. C. I voted for Dr. C, but he is partial to Prof. C, as art historians are more often called Prof. While this isn't a serious dilemma, he is in an interesting position with his students. C is fairly casual in the classroom and has often let his students call him by his first name--something I never do. I love that we can have this conversation because it means he is FINISHED with his dissertation!!!!

3 comments:

Southpaw said...

I had the same situation since I also often go by first name. My rule has been upper versus lower classpeople. 100 or 200 level classes is Dr. M and 300-400 has been whatever they feel comfortable with. I never considered Prof. but that has only recently been possible since I was a lecturer!


Out of curiosity, is the "C" in Dr. C referring to a first or surname in this usage?

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilian said...

How interesting! What do you have your students call you? I guess the culture in my university is that everyone is called by their first names, particularly TAs or grad student instructors. We always called our professors by first name too, although I think the undergrads didn't...

It's great that he's finished, though, that's for sure!