Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Baby-sitter success

Despite our worries, last night was a rousing success. Wild Man's baby-sitter, Miss A, who is a teacher at his school, arrived promptly at 6:00, and she listened to all of my neurotic instructions. I kept apologizing for telling her so much; I mean she took care of him for 6 1/2 hours a day for 6 months before he moved to another room. He loves her, she loves him, and they know each other. Still, C and I were both concerned that Wild Man would give her trouble, especially when it came to bed time. But he went to bed fairly easily. And as far as we can tell, she followed our instructions perfectly. She did let him stay up a little later than usual, but I had told her that was ok. Miss A played with him while C and I finished getting ready, and then she started giving him his bath just as we were leaving. Wild Man apparently conned her into reading way more than the allotted 4 books before bedtime, but he was in his crib by 7:40, which is only a little later than usual. He didn't fall asleep right away, which isn't out of the ordinary. He didn't, however, ask for me or ask to nurse, which is huge. He was asleep by 8:00, and Miss A said she spent the next hour watching TV. As C and I drove away, we looked at each other and said, "This is really weird" at the same time. I kept my cell phone on the table throughout dinner, which was super tasty, but she never called. After dinner, we walked around a local fountain for a bit and just talked. It was so nice to put on perfume and a heels, to have a nice meal and to drink a fancy cocktail, and to talk to my husband without worrying if Wild Man was going to try to eat the table cloth, dump ketchup on himself, or have a meltdown. I'm not sure why we haven't done that before, but if Miss A is willing, we're definitely going to do it again.

All in all, it was a wonderful birthday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news, and Happy Birthday too! I was just like you when we first hired a sitter for Luke to go out on our own. Actually, I think I was a lot worse. To give you an idea, I even wrote our address on a post-it, just in case she needed to call an ambulance and tell them where we lived. I had to keep apologizing to the sitter, who was also one of Luke's former teachers, because I knew I was being way too detailed but absolutely could not help myself.

M said...

I didn't write down our address, but she did have detailed directions to our house that C had typed for her, which included her address. I did leave my cell phone number, C's cell phone number, and the number to the restaurant we went to on a post-it! I repeatedly apologized too, and she kept saying, "It's ok; tell me whatever you need to."

Lilian said...

I'm thrilled everything went so well!! We'll probably try to do that soon (for the first time as well -- we've had my parents baby-sit informally a few times in the past six years).