Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A love letter to C

Today is C and my eighth wedding anniversary. As I said to him yesterday, some days it seems like only yesterday that we were married, and other days it seems like we've been married forever. I honestly have to struggle to remember my life before C was a part of it. We started dating over 11 years ago (the 12th anniversary of our first date is in October). I realized yesterday that we've spent over a third of our lives together. He is a wonderful husband, father, and friend. I love him for so many reasons; here are just a few.
  • I can be a bit much at times, and he reminds me not to take myself so seriously.
  • He is my biggest supporter, especially in terms of my work. He often listens to me expound on my academic inadequacies, but he also encourages me to remember that I am smart, capable, and hard-working.
  • He makes really good grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • He fries an egg just the way I like it.
  • Sometimes he gets up with Wild Man (who tends to wake up at the ungodly hour of 6:00 am), closes the door to our bedroom, and lets me sleep in.
  • He gives me a big hug when I do the same for him.
  • He tells me to go out with my friends more often.
  • He goes to the grocery store.
  • He stays home with Wild Man when he is sick so I can keep working on my dissertation.
  • He wipes off the floor under Wild Man's chair every night after dinner.
  • He hangs clothes out on the clothesline for me.
  • He rubs my feet regularly and rarely complains that I almost never return the favor.
  • He recently apologized for making me move to another country.
  • He is my partner in every sense of the word.
  • He loves me, with all my quirks and neuroses and oddities. In fact, sometimes I think he loves me because of those things.
  • I love him because he is C.

7 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Happy anniversary! I remembered the date, and I ordered an e-card to be delivered to you both this morning, but for some reason it didn't happen :(

If you'd like to reschedule your date for this weekend, Supa-T would love to have Wild Man over to play!

M said...

Thanks! We may take you up on that offer.

Anonymous said...

Aw, now that's a sweet love letter. I posted one about Gabe too, but much more of the tongue in cheek variety than yours.

Oxymoron said...

C is for cookie. That's good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer that the quality of a grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate make-or-break point in a marriage! I'm not at all surprised to know that your sandwiches are delicious. See... and that sounds dirty even though I didn't mean it to. Anyway, happy eight years. Love you guys.

L said...

Happy Anniversary to you! And I feel so much older (and probably am) because we've been married for 13 years and started dating 18 years ago!

M said...

If I remember your age correctly, Lilian, from the last time you mentioned it on your blog, you're only 4 years older than me!