Thursday, June 05, 2008

"Sexism and the City"

My good friend Supadiscomama, who blogs at The Rhetorical Situation, and I are having a SATC extravaganza this Friday night. Along with some other lovely ladies who love the show almost as much as we do, we're going to see the movie and then have cocktails while we dish about the movie. Mr. Supadicomama and C are both fans of the show (granted neither is as ardent a fan as either of us), and both want to see the film. Given this, I was interested in the article entitled "Sexism and the City" published in this week's Newsweek. I have read no reviews of the movie and surprisingly little press (I am a fan; I didn't want to be disappointed or angered by "bad" reviews), so a lot of the article was surprising to me. Are most men so anti-SATC as this article describes? Are men so threatened by a film that has 4 women in the lead roles that they have gone on-line to give a film bad reviews, a film that most haven't seen? I don't know what to do with this. I'd like to believe that American men are more mature than this, but I have a feeling I may be wrong.

4 comments:

supadiscomama said...

I found the comparison to the hatred of Hillary Clinton quite interesting. SATC had the highest-grossing debut of movie starring women ever. Clearly, this is a powerful franchise involving some powerful women--of course sexism is going to rear its ugly head...yet again. The people who made the series and the movie such a success--the viewers--however, don't give a fuck--obviously. I can't wait to see it!!!

Oxymoron said...

"don't give a fuck"

Strong words from a strong woman! (Did you write this wearing a pantsuit, Supa?)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a fun movie and very satisfying for fans of the show. I can understand how you wouldn't feel it's great if you're not too familiar with the show or the characters, because knowing the back story and seeing where everyone ended up was a huge part of what made it exciting and enjoyable. Usually when I am excited about a movie I end up feeling let down, but not this time. I thought the narrative arcs for each character were as perfectly fitting as finding out, in the last episode of the show, that Big's name is John--to me, it couldn't have been anything better. Have a great time, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your reaction.

M said...

Here's my take on it: why does it always have to be something? Why can't it just be a good movie the target audience of which is women? God knows there are plenty of bad movies that target men. Why can't we just have one thing that isn't political?