Thursday, July 26, 2012

He has arrived!

Baby G (I'll come up with a better pseudonym soon) was born on Tuesday, July 24th.  I'll likely write up the birth story later, but for now, I'll say this birth did not go as expected.  My labor with Wild Man was 4 hours 20 minutes, and 2 hours and 30 minutes with Bear.  Baby G was 15 hours, give or take.  I was not in active labor that entire time, but that is how long I was in labor, laboring, or trying to get labor to restart before he was born. 

For now, we're doing well.  He has slept fairly well the past two nights, and he is nursing fairly well.  My midwife thinks he is a bit tongue tied, and I am beginning to agree.  He is nursing, but not as efficiently as I'd like him to be.  I'm dealing with a bit of engorgement, which I'm handling with pumping, hot compresses, and ice packs.  He has an appointment with a pediatrician who will cut his frenulum, if need be. 

As for Wild Man and Bear, they are adjusting fairly well.  We've kept them on their regular schedule, so Wild Man has been at art camp all week and Bear has been in daycare.  I know lots of people (including my mom) who disagree with our decision to do this, but honestly, we want the smoothest transition for them.  Having them home, while we're trying to figure out Baby G's personality would mean that they'd end up watching a lot of TV or playing without us.  Keeping them involved with their regular activities means that they don't feel left out, and we can rest throughout the day as we need to.  When they are with Baby G, they have been excited.  Bear is telling everyone about "my brother," and Wild Man is very, very helpful.  We have had some minor meltdowns with each of them, but mostly, things are going well.  And I'm quite happy with our family of 5.

3 comments:

L said...

Oh dear, I'm happy to know things are going well. I think it's simply *brilliant* of you to keep the boys in their schedules so the transition is smooth.

I'm sorry the birth was harder than expected. :( I hope that the issue with the tied tongue can be resolved soon. Engorgement is tough!

Well, thanks for sharing and let us know more when you can!

And Congratulations again!

rented life said...

Ditto on Lillian, I think it's great that you kept their schedules! Glad everything is going well and Congrats!!!

supadiscomama said...

Yay! As you know, both of my boys were tongue tied. In both cases, a tiny little cut fixed everything, and now they both have heart-shaped tongues :)

As for keeping the big brothers on schedule--I would think you insane if you *didn't* send them to school/daycare/camp! xoxo