Monday, November 12, 2012

Job Frustration

I met with the chair of one of the departments that I am appointed in.  Although I know her, she is new to the chair's position, and she was on leave when I was appointed.  Thus, we hadn't spoken since I'd been appointed as my leave had already started by the time she got back from her leave.  It was an interesting meeting.  She gave me some tips on securing tenure, took a look at my CV, and reassured me I don't have to change my research area.  She then told me what I more or less already knew: I will be teaching the huge introductory survey often.  I'm not thrilled with this, but whatever.  I can handle it.  I then told her about the travel course I designed and received $17,000 to run from a grant that I worked on for several months last fall.  She was pleased, but a bit taken aback.  There is, apparently, no way the class can work in this department.  Long story short: the class is an underwater basket weaving class, this isn't an underwater basket weaving department.  In fact, I am not appointed in a department that teaches underwater basket weaving.  It seems that neither of these departments is particularly interested in me teaching this class.  It also seems I will be having a long conversation with the dean about this particular situation. 

2 comments:

L said...

This is extremely frustrating indeed! I know what it takes to design a new class and I hope you get to teach it! (this semester I was forced to simply "hand over" my newly designed class for a stranger to teach because the dept. refused to cancel it -- for money, I'm sure, sigh...).

I hope the two departments can figure something out to include the class.

M said...

The most frustrating part is that I was awarded this money, something I will receive positive feedback for on my annual review, but now I'm struggling to get the class on the books in one of the two departments in which I teach. The bulk of the money actually pays for student travel, which is doubling frustrating.