Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Labels

In the last few weeks, I've been labeled in at least three different ways.  My mother-in-law reminded me that I was not born in Home State, effectively labeling me an outsider (she did not use that word, but given the circumstances of the conversation and our complicated relationship, I feel certain she was subtly reminding me that I am different than her, that I am still an outsider in the family).  A few weeks later a blog friend Lilian labeled me as an immigrant, which I am, but I had never really considered my immigrant status before (in contrast to Yetta, Lilian didn't mean to offend me in any way, and she didn't).  Finally, Archer told me I present myself as less American, as more comfortable raising our children in a "foreign" country than he is (I placed quotations around foreign because I struggle with seeing Canada as completely foreign to the U.S., which is likely a subject for another post).  I've been considering all three of these labels as well as why we need to label one another.

First, I want to say that I understand why labels are necessary, to some degree (and while I could theorize about this till the cows come home, I'm not going to).  I do not, however, like to have people attempt to define my identity for me.  As my blog description states, I see myself as a work-in-progress. 

*I'm going to publish this now even though it isn't finished, as I'm not able to finish posts as quickly as I'd like lately. . .

4 comments:

rented life said...

I have a hard time seeing Canada as completely foregin as well. Many of my students are Canadian, most of the people who live here know the national anthem, we take being able to go over to Canadian cities, being exposed to Canadian music, etc as normal. Natural even. It's an integral part of my city's culture really. But I suspect there are some differences, especially the further from the border you go. I also expect political differences, especially for more conservative Americans, as conservative in Canada means something very different. I forget about that fairly quickly, except when I teach in areas further in-state.

L said...

I had missed this, probably because our lives are really chaotic right now.

Well, I don't see immigration and being an immigrant as a label, it's simply part and parcel of every instant of my daily life. I moved from one country to another, so I emigrated, therefore, I am an immigrant.

I go to Canada a lot and I do consider it more as an "extension" of the U.S. (I know Canadians would probably be upset at this line of thinking, but maybe not!), but it is also a fact that you moved from one country to another, so you being an immigrant would be a fact and not a label.

I guess we can backtrack and talk about the definition of labels now... I suppose one could say some labels are more factual than others.

So... all of this to say that I had no intention to "label" it I was just commenting on your experienced based in mine and I realize that emigrating from Brazil to the U.S. is 100% different from going from the U.S. to Canada, but it's still technically immigration...

OK, I write too much. But this is all to say that I'm not attempting to define your identity in any way, just stating a fact, similar to e.g. you're a mother, or a woman. Or am I wrong? (are these labels or facts?). Sigh... :)

M said...

Lillian, I know that you weren't labeling me, and I didn't take it that way at all. I'll finish the post someday, and with any luck it will all make sense.

L said...

That's fine! Hopefully you'll get to finish the post at some point...