Monday, December 17, 2012

There is no such thing. . .

as a worthless human being.  We do not know the details every others' lives.  We don't know their hardships, their struggles, their illnesses.  We don't know what may compel someone to enact acts of violence.  We should concern ourselves with taking care of the survivors and with forgiving.  I'm not usually the sort of person to quote Bible verses, but in light of all the hateful things being said about a boy, (yes, he was a boy himself) who did commit a horrific act of violence that ended the lives of 27 other people and his own I feel compelled to do so. 

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

4 comments:

L said...

Well said!!

rented life said...

Yes. I'm tired of seeing "some people are just inherently evil/filled with Satan/worthless monsters."

Anonymous said...

A friend posted on FB that she didn't even want to hear his name. I didn't reply but I thought about leaving a comment reminding her that he, too, was a human being--and clearly a suffering human being at that.

M said...

I've been really bothered by the fact that so many media outlets have only listed 26 victims (although I do admit that when Wild Man heard the brief story on the radio he only heard 26 victims, and I didn't see the need to correct him). In my mind, there were 28 victims. I staunchly believe we need to do something about gun laws in the U.S., but I also believe, as staunchly, that we need to address mental health. Clearly this individual needed help, and from everything I've read, his mother was doing the best she could. If someone from their socio-economic background can't get the help the need, what hope is there for the rest of us?