Friday, December 14, 2012

Things I never expected to do. . .

I have done so many things I never thought I do since I became a parent.  That list includes:
  • pulling boogers out of my kid's nose
  • pulling boogers out of a friend's kid's nose
  • wearing a sweater that had a little bit of vomit on it to a meeting
  • washing a load of laundry that had a single blanket in it to make my child calm down
  • sit up for hours in a steamy bathroom so my kid could breathe
  • eat chicken nuggets on a regular basis
  • discuss the finer details of Star Wars
  • analyze the class divisions in the Cars movies
  • stay up till midnight making homemade Valentines for the kids in my child's class
Even before I was a parent, however, if you'd told me I'd do any of the above, I likely would have laughed and said, "Oh, you're probably right!" Now that I've done them, none of those things seem that odd or disgusting.  They are part of my every day life now. I never, ever thought I do what I just did, and I sincerely wish I did not feel compelled to do it.  I just emailed Wild Man's principal to ask what the school's lockdown policies are.  I want to know what they have taught the kids to do in the event a gunman comes into the school.  I want to know that they have a policy in place to protect as many children and teachers as possible should such a horrific, tragic thing ever happen in my child's school.  And I am absolutely sick to my stomach that I feel like Archer and I now have to have a discussion with our children about such an event.

No comments: