Monday, February 26, 2007

Changes

Before I begin, I must confess that I contemplated trying to title this post like the David Bowie song of the same name, but I'm not sure how to express phonetically. . .

My life is changing. C is currently on the job market; he recently had 5 interviews at his field's equivalent to MLA. All the interviews went well, and now he's anxiously awaiting the call for on campus interviews. I really want him to get a job, and not for all the normal reasons. Yes, the increased income would be nice, and yes, I want a bigger apartment. But I really want him to get a job because he has had a hard year. Basically, he deserves the validation that I know will come with a job offer. He does great research in a very interesting and understudied area. He also sacrificed a lot for me to work on my doctorate while he was still working on his. When we moved for me to begin my program, he had to get a job as an adjunct instructor, and he effectively lost a year. Since then he has faced lots of other challenges, and he's overcome them all. I really don't want to move because we have a great group of friends, I have a support system of other academic mothers, and I'm really happy with our life here, despite the obvious drawbacks of small town life. But I want this for him. He deserves it, and everyday I check our answering machine with fingers crossed hoping this is the day he gets a call about a second interview.

2 comments:

Amy Reads said...

Before I begin, I must confess that I contemplated trying to title this post like the David Bowie song of the same name, but I'm not sure how to express phonetically. . .

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes.
(turn and face the strain)

Yeah.

I like Bowie.
Ciao,
Amy

Lilian said...

See, "today" was yesterday! ;)

I'm crossing my fingers for you and wishing you the best of luck. We're in the same situation, but we need his job mostly for the "regular" reasons... (sigh).