Monday, February 26, 2007

S and the bottle

S continues to improve with the bottle. As Supadiscomama predicted, he began to take the bottle when he started daycare. Being my kid, however, it wasn't easy. For the first week, I would prepare 2 bottles every morning, and when I picked him up, I would take home 2 bottles, minus 1 ounce of breastmilk. As soon as I got him home, he would nurse for over an hour to make up for what he had missed in the 4 hours we were apart. My stubborn boy would take drink just enough milk to take the edge off of his hunger, and then he would wait for me. The one of his teachers decided to experiment with nipples. A breastfeeding mother herself, she tried a type of latex nipple that her own son preferred. As soon as she put the bottle in S's mouth, he downed the entire 2 ounce bottle and then ate the other. The next day, I prepared bigger bottles, and today, he drank a 5 ounce bottle. He still nursed for an hour when we got home, but I now choose to believe it is because he missed me and our snuggly time together rather than because he was famished. C was home with us today, so he got to experience the marathon nursing session first hand. He asked me if I minded that S wanted to snuggle and eat that long, and I assured him I didn't. I've come to think of that hour (and sometimes longer!) as our special time together. I quickly realized that C was a little jealous of my time with S, so as soon as he finished nursing and his short nap, I passed him over to his dad for some serious playtime. I spent the next hour watching them play together.

I have to say that although I still hate that I have to take my son to daycare, I no longer feel guilty about spending so much time with him. After my four hours of work, I'm more than ready to spend the rest of the day with my little guy.

4 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Yep. Having that time away from baby definitely makes the time with him better.

Dr. Peters said...

Sometimes "separation of spheres"--as in, your work sphere and your home sphere--can make a huge difference. When work time is work time, then home time is home time, and it can make for a much more satisfied Mommy.

AcadeMama said...

Not only am I a more satisfied Mommy because I'm away from the children for a while during the day, I feel like I'm a much *better* Mommy! I'm more patient, more ready to play and engage, and less stressed about work.

Lilian said...

I'm glad it's working for you!! As a mommy who never got to have much time away from my sons (only with my parents caring for them at home while I was working in the study nearby), I think being away for a while has many positive aspects.