Monday, July 23, 2007

Mothering an adult

I've been thinking a lot about the kind of mother I want to be to an adult child, and while I have a long way to go before S is an adult, I'm going to write a series of posts on this topic. I have various issues with my own mother (as well as my mother-in-law), and I want to avoid these issues if at all when S is an adult. I've been contemplating writing a list of things not to do when S is an adult, and that list would include:

  • Do not be passive-aggressive; tell adult S how I feel directly.
  • Do not expect adult S to parent me.
  • Do not force adult S to be "my best friend."
  • Do not make adult S feel guilty for living his own life.
  • Take pride in the fact that adult S is happy and well-adjusted (I am, of course, assuming he will be).
  • Do not expect adult S to put me before his own family.
  • Do not expect adult S's life-partner (assuming he has a life-partner) to put me before his/her own family.
  • Learn to like S's life-partner's family and get along with them to the best of my ability.
  • If unable to do above, do not bad mouth S's life-partner's family to S.
  • Offer help and advice to adult S, but do not be offended if he chooses not to take my help or advice.
  • Do not ask S what his plans for holidays are some 6 months prior to those holidays.
  • Above all, do be loving, kind, thoughtful, and supportive of adult S. Remember, adults often need their parents too.
I think that is a good start, and I may periodically add to it. I want to be the sort of parent that an adult enjoys being around. I want to have an open, pleasant, truthful relationship with my son, no matter what his age is. I definitely do not want to put him in the position of defending me or explaining my hurtful actions to someone he really loves.

1 comment:

mgm said...

M, those are good ones. I have lots o' the same issues with my mother, esp. the "best friend" thing. My mother *does not* socialize and, therefore, has no friends of her own.

We were out together a few weeks ago during a visit and I thanked her for the day (lunch, clothes, some books) and she says, "I enjoyed it. You're not just my daughter; you're my best friend." EEK!

I often use the negative-parenting model to figure out what kind of mother I want to be, too. I fear that's a bad thing, though, and hope I just don't end up perpetuating the same crap.