Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sleep Training: More Progress

Since my last post, C & I have continued with the "console and retreat" method, and we'd settled into a routine of sorts. S goes down for the night between 7:30 & 8:00, generally without incident. He wakes up at 12:30 or thereabouts, and after about 20 minutes, he puts himself back to sleep. He then wakes up at 4:30 or 5:00 to nurse and goes back to sleep until 7:00 or so. If he sleeps much past 7:00, one of us wakes him up by 7:30 to keep him on a schedule. It isn't an ideal schedule by any stretch, but it is much better than the 3 or 4 times he was waking up, and now, he will go back to sleep without nursing. I choose to nurse him when he wakes up the second time because by then he's gone almost 9 hours without nursing.

Last night he slept from 8:00 until 5:39 without waking up!!!! When he woke up, he didn't cry; he called "mamamamamama," which is as close to "Mama" as he has gotten. He nursed for 20 minutes and went back to sleep until 7:15. I, of course, woke up at 3:00 in a complete panic and lied in bed for 10 minutes trying to hear him breathe on the monitor! I really wanted to go into his room to check on him, but I didn't. I haven't felt this rested in a long time!

4 comments:

AcadeMama said...

Congratulations!! I love the fact that you know it was precisely 5:39...not 5:30..or a little after 5:30, but 5:39. Too funny :)

supadiscomama said...

Great news! Hopefully each night will get better and better. Kiss that baby for me (and tell him Supadiscobaby says hi) :)

wwwmama said...

Yay!!! That's great.

Lilian said...

That's absolutely amazing... good for you! We didn't night wean the boys (and were basically co-sleeping) until they were respectively 18 months (and I was pregnant) and 2 (my parents were living with us and we didn't want the crying to wake everyone up).