Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mothers and Mothers-in-law

I have a fairly problematic relationship with my mother (but who doesn't, right?), which, in the past, I've discussed with my mother-in-law. My mother recently did something incredibly stupid and very unhealthy, which I'm still angry about (it is one of the few things I'm not comfortable blogging about, so forgive me if I don't go into a lot of detail). C briefly mentioned this to his mother as my mother's actions resulted in me asking her to delay a visit to see us. My mother-in-law, with whom I also have a problematic relationship, promptly called me to let me know she was there if I needed her. While I appreciate the sentiment, I no longer talk about my parents with C's mom--under any circumstances. It is simply too complicated and, quite frankly, comes back to bite me in the ass more often than not. I thanked her and changed the subject. A few days after that she lamented to C that she doesn't understand me, my relationship with my mother, or what I want from her (C's mom). C relayed this to me only because he was as flabbergasted as I was. She implied (and confirmed the implication when C questioned her) that because I have a difficult relationship with my mother that I should just see her as a replacement. I have no idea what to make of that or where she would get that idea from. I love my mother-in-law, but she isn't my mother. I don't want her to be my mother, nor do I, in spite of my problems with my own mother, want her to start thinking of herself as my mother. She's said things like this in the past about my sister-in-law--"J's mother is so terrible; I don't understand why she doesn't let me and our family do more for her. . ." Can she really expect her sons' wives to favor her over our own mothers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"She implied that because I have a difficult relationship with my mother that I should just see her as a replacement."

oooh, yeah. i suspect that of my MIL, too. Sure, my family is kind of a mess but that doesn't mean i want to just shed them and become another child in your family. I find the suggestion downright weird. and it makes me feel uncomfortable because it suggests that my family is inferior to my husband's family. which makes me feel like a damn charity case. which pisses me off.

all of that to say, I understand where you're coming from and I completely agree. You may love C's mom but she's not your mother. She never will be.

M said...

YES!!! That sums up exactly how I feel. And of course, all of this is coming to me second hand b/c she won't talk to me about any of this. I hate that she thinks it is ok to criticize me to my husband; she continues to do this no matter how many times he tells her it is unacceptable and forces her to change the subject.

C repeatedly reminds me that his mom just wants to be the center of the universe. Thus, if my sister-in-law and I were to "choose" her in favor of our own mothers, she would have achieved part of her goal. The hardest part for me is that all of this is beginning to make me dislike my mother-in-law.

AcadeMama said...

I'm okay with disliking my MIL :)

Okay, I'm part joking...but I'm also part serious. You can't pick your family (unfortunately), and it's always disappointing when the in-laws that come with a spouse are well, not much better than our own relatives. But, we (my husband and I) just try to keep a healthy distance between "us" and "them", and do our best to minimize the effect of their thoughtlessness on the kids. It sucks that your MIL doesn't listen when C sticks up for you, but it doesn't look like she's changing anytime soon. You've both done what you can, so maybe you can just focus on what matters most: the life you, C, and S have created for yourselves. That's the best part anyway, right?