Sunday, December 30, 2007

Timing

Wild Man is down for a much needed nap, and I should be using the time to work on my syllabus. I haven't worked much in the past week, primarily because Wild Man has been out of school for the holiday, but mainly because I haven't wanted to. I have to admit that while my dissertation is always in the back of my mind, I have enjoyed this week free from work with my family. We've spent the mornings in our pjs, gone shopping, read books, introduced Wild Man to "Finding Nemo," taken a trip to the nearest big city to visit the Natural History Museum, and cooked lots of good things. All of this family time has led to thoughts of another baby, which has prompted thoughts of timing.

C & I are have recently decided that we will have a second child, and to be honest this was a tough decision for me. Before Wild Man was born, I assumed we'd have 2 children. I grew up with 2 siblings, as did C, and neither one of us could imagine having only 1 child. Once Wild Man was born, however, I was no longer so sure I wanted a second child. Our life is very full, with 2 careers (or almost 2) and a child; I wasn't sure how a second child could fit. On top of that, I had no idea how hard mothering an infant would be, and I simply couldn't imagine mothering an infant while mothering an older child. C, on the other hand, has always known he wanted 2 children. He has been the one starting the discussions about a second child, which is ironic considering I was the one who initiated almost all the discussions about having Wild Man. For a few months, it felt like we changed places. As I've watched Wild Man grow and change, I've come around to the idea of a second child. As much as I can't imagine mothering an infant and the rambunctious Wild Man, I also can't imagine never experiencing the joys of having an infant in the house again. But one nagging question remains (well, actually, quite a few remain, but this is the most nagging): when do we have a second child?

This has question has been so much on my mind that I actually tried to map out the major events in our life the other night. It looked something like this:

  • Spring 2008: C on job market; C gets job offer (at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one).
  • Summer 2008: We move.
  • Fall 2008: C begins new job; Wild Man starts new school; M frantically tries to finish her dissertation; Wild Man turns 2.
  • Spring 2009: M defends her dissertation.
  • May 2009: M graduates.
  • Fall 2009: M goes on job market, hoping to either find a job close to C's current job or to get a partner placement at C's school (assuming, of course, that we like the location of C's job); Wild Man turns 3.
  • Spring 2010: M gets job offer and/or partner placement.
What I've outlined above is the ideal situation; if C doesn't get a job and he continues adjuncting at the local SLAC, life becomes somewhat more complicated as I will feel it necessary to go on the market in the Fall 2008 rather than waiting until I'm finished with the dissertation. So, where do we fit a second child into all of this? I'm not sure. If we wait until the end of my outline--the Spring 2010--Wild Man will be 3 1/2, and C and I will be in our mid-30s. I know that isn't so old, but those ages concern me for several reasons. First, I don't relish the thought of having teenagers when I'm in my 50s--I just don't. Second, there is a 4 year age gap between my brother and me and a 6 year gap between my sister and me. I wasn't particularly close to either of them until I was an adult; in fact, my sister and I hated (I am not exaggerating) each other until I was about 18, and then we tolerated each other until I was about 22, at which time we become closer. I would say we're close now because we've bonded over other family problems, but we really don't have anything in common. If we weren't sisters, we probably wouldn't be friends.

Ideally I'd like to get pregnant with a second child when Wild Man is 2, so that they would be about 3 years apart. My niece and nephew are 3 years apart, and they are really close. That means that I would need to be pregnant in the Spring of 2009, or thereabouts. That also means that I could either be pregnant or have a newborn when I go on the market for the first time. So the ideal spacing makes other things complicated. If we wait until I have a job, we might not have a baby until 2010 or 2011, which means there would be 5 years between Wild Man and Baby 2. I don't know which makes more sense, and what really bothers me is that I don't know which feels right. I feel like we're approaching a second child so much differently than we did Wild Man, and that also bothers me. With Wild Man, we knew we were in a good place in terms of our degrees, in a good location, and ok financially, so we let emotion make the decision. We waited until it felt right for both of us. I want to be able to let emotion make this decision, but I feel like there are too many other factors to consider. I hate uncertainty, and I hate feeling like I'm not in control of my life, which is how I feel right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that there's an ideal time. oddly, even though it ended painfully in miscarriage, I'm glad I got pregnant on accident this year. If I took anything about timing from the experience it was that if we had to deal with a child RIGHT NOW, we could.

as for going on the market pregnant or with a newborn, I think it could be done. if you weren't that pregnant, you could probably hide it and you know they can't ask. As if your baby was newborn when on the market s/he would be a whole year old when you took the job. That could work out.

of course, sometimes people let it sway them subconsciously if you think they are. then again, knowing that you're having your kids now might also put them at ease concerning any future procreation.

last thing, the three year age gap is *really* working for us. I definitely recommend it.

AcadeMama said...

Same questions here, and we've been planning/outlining for a while now. We finally decided to that Aug 08 is the ideal time to start trying for number three. Hubby will have a lecture position (thus making it more financially feasible), I won't be noticeably pregnant while on the market in December, and I'd deliver around May, just in time for the end of the Spring semester (if we get pregnant the first or second time trying).

My main factor wasn't age (mine or hubby's) or spacing, but rather the unbearable thought of being or getting pregnant while starting a tenure-track job. I read too many horror stories from other moms, who explained the perils of the "tenure time clock" and how some universities apply it to pregnant women and/or new mothers.

If all goes as planned - keeping fingers crossed and praying to fertility Goddess - I'll have Summer 09 to stay home with our third and final baby. If Fate wants to be really good to us, maybe I'll also be packing up the house because one of us has gotten a job!! But I won't hold my breath on that last one :)

Whatever you and C decide, I'm sure you'll find a way to make things work just fine.

Anonymous said...

I spent more time than I'd like to admit pondering about when the 'right' time to have a baby might be. I think I concluded after tenure, and I am so glad I didn't wait. Several years ago my husband was unexpectedly laid off from his job and it taught us a valuable lesson. Jobs are neither loving nor loyal. They're nothing worth planning something as precious as your family around. My two cents is that you have to do what is right for you personally, not professionally.

Lilian said...

This is a really tough question and reading your post makes me glad that I had both boys well before I finished the Ph.D. (even if it did make me take much longer to finish). I didn't have to make this decision, though, so I cannot give advice, just share my story.

Kelvin was fully planned, but Linton was an accident. There couldn't have been a more fortunate and best timed accident, however! Linton (due June 2, b. May 30) was born three weeks after classes were over, after I had already turned in grades. My husband graduated that summer and accepted a postdoc position here in PA, so we were going to move and we'd loose our student (union subsidized) health insurance, so it was the best timing that he was born then and there, in the same hospital as his brother, etc.

After we moved I paid a high premium/HUGE deductible health plan just for an emergency for three years and it would have been impossible for us to have another baby in these circumstances. Had we not had Linton then, I have no idea how the spacing would be, etc.

So... I think you have to just put your family in first place and ultimately things may work out just fine. Or so I hope since they did for us.