Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Retirement

My mother-in-law officially retires this Friday, and I'm very excited for her. She will get a much deserved break. That said, she told C when they spoke last night that she plans to come visit us about every 6 weeks or so. I don't know if I can handle that. Seriously. There are lots of advantages to having her visit that often.
  • Wild Man would get to see one of his grandparents on a regular basis.
  • She and I might be able to develop a closer relationship.
  • It would be nice to see family often.
  • We would have regular access to a reliable, trustworthy, and free babysitter.
I told C that if this happens we would have to have a serious conversation about guidelines and boundaries she would be expected to follow. Off the top of my head these would include
  • respecting our life choices
  • not questioning our parenting choices/decisions
  • not giving Wild Man a lot of junk food/fast food crap to eat
  • refraining from bad mouthing me to C (yes, she continues to do this even though he has repeatedly asked/told her not to.)
  • not involving us in family drama
That is just what I can think of off the top of my head. Suffice to say, such visits would be welcome, but they would also be really stressful. Maybe she'll just come every 3 months or so. . .

1 comment:

Lilian said...

Oh, these family things are really really tough. I'm blessed with a wonderful MiL, but my FiL is prone to inappropriate outbursts (only when MiL is not around to curb him). I haven't really experienced them, but my poor SiL has :(

Good luck with this new development.