Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Brothers

Wild Man is still getting used to Bear's presence in our lives. For the most part, he is doing well. I wouldn't go so far to say that he is in love with Bear, but Wild Man certainly likes him. He has had a few jealous moments, most of which have occurred when he wants to snuggle with me and I'm nursing Bear. Yesterday afternoon, after he misbehaved in the bookstore and was unceremoniously carried out kicking and screaming by me, Wild Man had a bit of a meltdown. He cried the entire way home, and he was accompanied by Bear who was crying because Wild Man was crying. When we got home I told Wild Man to sit in his quiet spot until he calmed down, and I then began nursing Bear. C checked on Wild Man several times, but he didn't want anything to do with his dad. When he finally calmed down, he came over to me and said, "Mommy, I don't want Bear. Send him away. I need you." I tried really hard not to get upset, but it's hard. I feel like Wild Man resents Bear's presence and the time I have to devote to him. Then I also feel like I'm not able to give Bear the attention I gave to Wild Man when he was an infant because my attention is always split. Parenting two is definitely hard.

But then, Wild Man asks to hold Bear or asks to "nurse" him, and I realize that he does like his brother.

*This photo will disappear in a few days.

3 comments:

Lilian said...

Oh dear, parenting two is the hardest thing that ever happened to me. I was extremely overwhelmed by this after Linton was born. I never expected it to be so hard! I may have told you before that I think that the work is not multiplied by two, but grows exponentially. It does get better, though. Except when they fight :-(.

Kate said...

That is so sweet! You are doing really well, and even if your time is divided in two your love isn't. You're being a fantastic mother to both of your kids.

Anonymous said...

I'm behind on my reading, since we've been away, but I wanted to tell you that I love you and I know that you're doing a great job. It's agonizing to worry about two kids and making sure they each get the love they need. But the fact that you're worrying means you're doing it right. Hang in there and think of the days ahead when they laugh and play together. WM and B's lives will be that much richer because they have each other in addition to you and C. It's a great gift you've given them. Don't forget that.