Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tired

Bear and I have spent the last two nights in the hospital, and we're beginning night number three. Luckily, we're going into tonight with good news, but I'll start at the beginning.

Last Friday, Wild Man wasn't feeling well and had a slight fever. It was around 100 before dinner, so we gave him some Motrin. It went down, and he felt better within an hour. During the night it back up to 102. C gave him some more Motrin, and again, it went down. He was a little off throughout Saturday morning, but by the afternoon, he was back to himself. On Tuesday evening, I had a headache, which wouldn't go away. I had it throughout Wednesday and had decided to call the doctor by Thursday afternoon if it hadn't gone away. Starting around 10:00 or so on Thursday, we noticed Bear wasn't acting like himself. He had woken up around 7 to nurse, and he had immediately gone back to sleep. Ordinarily he would wake up in an hour or 2 and be awake for a while before going back to sleep. He slept until ten, and when he woke up, he wanted to nurse, but went right back to sleep. He was also more cranky than usual--and for him that means just crying a bit as he is a very calm baby. By 3 I was feeling bad, and I decided to take my temperature. It was 100.8. I then decided to take Bear's; his was 99.9. I called my midwife and talked to her. As we were talking, I took it again, and it had dropped to 99, which is within normal range for a newborn. She suggested we keep an eye on him, but that if it went up again we should take him straight to the emergency room. I went to lie down with Bear, and when we woke up, around 6, he still felt warm. I took his temperature again, and it was up to 100.2. C and I packed up some things, called our midwife, and headed to the ER. Our midwife informed us that we'd probably be kept at least overnight; she told us that it is just routine to keep an infant who has a fever. So we were prepared to stay.

Fast forward to today, we were admitted, and Bear has had every test imaginable. He's been poked and prodded and seen by every resident in the hospital. We got the initial results of his blood work today, and so far, everything is negative. Assuming that his tests results are still negative by tomorrow morning, we will be able to go home. The chief pediatrician met with us early this afternoon (after making us wait all morning), and he thinks Bear likely had the same virus that Wild Man and I had. He hasn't had a fever since yesterday afternoon, and today he acted very much more like himself.

It has been a rough few days. I'm happy to say that Pita was here visiting to meet Bear, and that she was wonderful. She kept Wild Man occupied and distracted all day yesterday. My sister drove up last night, and she took care of Wild Man today, as Pita had to fly home today.

So far, both boys have been in the hospital within the first year of life. I hope this means we won't have any more scares for a long, long time.

3 comments:

Lilian said...

Oh my friend, how tough! I'd seen the updates in fb, but I'm glad you explained it all here. What a scare! In 7.5 years we've thankfully had only ONE hospital stay and it was a slightly unnecessary one at that: Kelvin, who was 12 months and one week old) was wheezing and it was a Friday evening at a university clinic -- they said they didn't have any more nebulizers for us to take home and that radiology was closed to take a chest x-ray, so... the doctor had us "ride" an ambulance (really, because he knew that by sending us by ambulance to the hospital -- pretty far away -- we wouldn't have to wait to be admitted, but the situation didn't warrant that). So, basically, we stayed overnight -- Kelvin HIGH from the steroids playing with the toy kitchen and having me drag him on various wagons that they had there (he couldn't walk yet) -- UNTIL 3 AM!!!

Anyway,I'm sorry you had to be in the hospital for so long. One night just about KILLED me. We co-slept, he still nursed, so he wouldn't stay in that crib/cage and he was on top of me (and i was laying on those uncomfortable bed/chairs) all night long. yikes...

OK, sorry for the story, I should go write a blog post about it...

And I truly hope everyone is recovered!

Oxymoron said...

I hope everyone is feeling better. This sucks!

M said...

Thanks Lilian and Oxy. Everyone is better. We're settling back into our usual routine.