Sunday, September 13, 2009

Control

C is embracing his new domestic role. On one level, it's great. He made breakfast this morning, put dinner in the crockpot, and washed 4 loads of laundry. This week alone he cleaned, took care of Bear, and reorganized the kitchen now that he's got all the cabinets installed. I'm feeling a bit out of sorts about all of this, however. This morning he informed me I was putting something in the wrong place in the kitchen, and I had no idea what to say about that. For various reasons, the kitchen has always been my domain. I do the majority of the cooking, so I have always organized the kitchen. I feel like I'm no longer in control of my home, which I know isn't accurate and is a response to going back to work. I'm going to have to remind myself that C can do things just as well as I can, and that there is nothing wrong with how he does things. Except, of course, that my way is better.

4 comments:

L said...

:-D

I totally get this. The only problem is that my parents were the ones "in charge" for a long time, and that wasn't exactly good for our relationship. I'm glad that now they're more like visitors and I'm in charge. Phew!

I kind of wish this same scenario would happen here -- K being more in control of domestic things, but he's the breadwinner, so I DO have to the kitchen and laundry part.

Anonymous said...

HA! Love this, M. You crack me up.

M said...

Jennie, C was not so amused when I told him that his ways were fine, but my ways are better. The biggest source of irritation for both of us is the dishwasher. He often unloads the dishwasher in the middle of the day, allowing dirty dishes to accumulate (albeit neatly stacked in the sink), whereas I unload it as soon as I come downstairs in the morning. I just want to put the dirty dishes in it as soon as possible. He argues that my way delays breakfast for Wild Man (and it does, by about 5 minutes), and I argue that his way creates a bigger mess. I'm having to remind myself to let little things like this go because, seriously, I don't want to ruin every morning by arguing over the dishwasher. ;)

Anonymous said...

M, yes, try to let it go. Here, I'll help you. C is actually emptying the dishwasher! And you're not even paralyzed or on chemo or anything. Hello? My husband leaves his dishes on the counter after every meal...because he is too lazy to even open the dishwasher door to see if it's empty or not. It drives me crazy. That, and the fact that he leaves breadcrumbs on the island Every. Single. Day. from making his lunch, despite the fact that the trash bin is right next to the island and all he has to do is sweep them directly into the bin. But I digress. Obviously I am not so good about letting things go either. I was complaining about the daily crumbs to a friend once and her response was, "He makes his lunch!?!" [And you're not even paralyzed or on chemo or anything. Hello?]