Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I want my own office

The title of this post says it all. I have access to 3 office on campus, but I share every one of them with multiple people. As a part-time faculty member, I am discouraged from using said offices to do any of my own work. They are simply locations where I can meet with students. In fact, I am expected to coordinate my office hours with all of my office mates so that none of us are in the office at the same time (this is ostensibly to give us privacy while meeting with students, but the implication is also that we're only supposed to use the offices during our office hours). As I spend a fair amount of time on campus (for various reasons, but primarily because we only have one car, and C and I teach on the same days) I spend a lot of time in C's office. I do this because I really don't have anywhere else to do. And I hate it. I hate that I don't have a space of my own on campus. I hate that I'm constantly in his building and that I see the people he works with all the time. I hate that being in his office reminds me that I don't have a tenure-track position. I hate that I can't apply to use a study carrel in the library because I'm only "part-time" (yes, I'm only part-time, but I teach more courses than most t-t faculty).

I literally use a corner of C's desk, and I have one bookshelf in his office. I am acutely aware that this is not my space, and I'm constantly leaving when he meets with students. He repeatedly tells me I don't have to leave, but I don't want to be in his office during those times. Truth be told, I don't want to be in his office at all. I do have an office at home, but again, for various reasons I end up being on campus more often than not. Most days I can handle this situation. But today it is really getting to me. Simply put, not having an office (even a shared office that I can access on a daily basis) reminds me of the impermanence of my position and makes me feel like I'm not valued by CU at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you. I am only allowed to use the adjunct office during my office hours--and there are always at least two of us at a time because there isn't space. I don't even have a desk at home. I have one small bookshelf, which is located behind the pack and play. I can't even access it.

it's depressing.

M said...

I could probably use my English office a bit more, but given that I'm still pumping twice a day on the days Bear is in child care, I'd rather be in C's office as at least in his office I don't have to worry about someone walking in on me unannounced. And depressing is exactly the right word, Anastasia.

L said...

Oh dear... I'm not looking forward to adjuncting in any shape or form, but I have to prepare for the depressing feelings that will come from situations such as this one you have right now. Sigh.

Well, that is... if I can even find an adjuncting job. We need any income from me SO BADLY!!

M said...

Lilian, I like adjuncting, or should I say I like teaching so I don't mind adjuncting. I just want my own office.

rented life said...

I had a full time position and was asked to share my office with multiple adjuncts. I wouldn't mind if 1)I felt like I could trust them (Stop taking stuff off my desk! Stop taking my chair!) and 2) if it wasn't so much come and go. I was stuck on campus all day, my office mates weren't. While they were nice enough, that particular set (I know this isn't true of everyone) didn't really get that I was there to work and I had about 3 more classes and a million more requirements. I don't want to chat. Then at the CC I adjunct at, there is zero office space for adjuncts, but we're more than welcome to use the conference room, that's always full of boxes.

Just saying, I feel your pain. When I start my own college with cool professors who can't seem to get what they want/need elsewhere, I will ask your and C to come along and you each can have your own office. In different buildings if you want. :)