Sunday, May 22, 2011

Are you my mother?

My mom called today for our weekly chat (yes, that's right.  My mom and I only talk once a week.  If I call her any other day, she immediately thinks something is wrong.  Seriously.  She seems my number on the Caller ID and answers the phone saying, "Are you ok?  Are the boys ok?  What's wrong, M?").  As we were getting off the phone, she said, "Oh, by the way, I booked a ticket to come visit for Bear's birthday."  I said, "Um, what?"   She said, "I booked a ticket.  I'll be in CU Land for Bear's birthday.  If you sell the house by then, I can stay longer and help you pack."  I wanted to say, "Are you my mother?"  Instead, I said, "That's great!  I can't wait to see you."

Now, why did I want to say, "Are you my mother?"  In the almost 13 years since I've lived in my Home State, my mom has come to see me many times.  Almost every time she flies, so in 13 years, we're talking about 12 visits or so (there was a 2-year period when we lived in the Northeast that she didn't visit for various reasons).  Every single time I've gone on-line and booked her ticket for her, using her credit card number.  I even booked her ticket in February when she flew to the Midwest to stay with my sister, who had a depressive episode due to bipolar.  Yes, I live in Canada, my mother lives in the South, and my sister lives in the Midwest.  And I booked my mother's plane ticket to fly to my sister's.  So when my mom told me she booked her ticket to come see us all by herself, I was more than a little surprised.  I was downright shocked.  When I told Archer, he said, "Say what?"  I can't express how proud I am of my mom, and I said as much to her.  I'm thrilled that she did this for herself, and I'm even more thrilled that we'll have some family here to celebrate Bear's birthday.

1 comment:

L said...

Wow, that sounds like a serious milestone for her!