Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Out of sorts

I'm feeling a bit out of sorts today.  I need to finish my paper, which I'm presenting at a conference this weekend.  I also need to finish the reading list for the literature class I'm teaching next year so that I can get my book order in.  I need to do about a million other things as well.  What have I done this morning?  I've booked my shuttle to the airport and made an appointment with a flooring store.  Oh, and I've had some coffee.  To tell the truth, I'd really just like to go back to bed.  I have lots of other things to do before I leave--like writing a note to Wild Man's teacher, checking in with Wild Man's soccer coach, prepping a few meals so life is a bit easier on Archer while I'm away, etc.  I think the inertia is do to the plain and simple fact that I really don't want to go away.  Do I need the time away?  Yes.  Do I like the place I'm traveling to?  Yes, in fact, it is one of my favorite cities.  Will I get to see old friends and colleagues?  Will I get to hear smart people talk about smart things?  Yes on both counts.  In fact, I'm rooming with one of my closest friends from Southwest College Town.  But I still don't want to go.  I don't like leaving my family, plain and simple.  It always makes me a bit sad.  I also don't really like being gone on a weekend.  I know I'll have fun, but right now, I just don't want to go.

2 comments:

rented life said...

Thank you for this. I always have a hard time leaving home and I thought it was just me.

Lilian said...

:( I totally get it. I hope you can accomplish all you need to accomplish before your trip. Virtual hugs.