Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Yetta's Visit and the Aftermath

As I wrote on Saturday, this visit with Yetta has been good. Archer and I talked a lot about it before hand, and we did quite a few things differently. All of that, as well as the simple facts that Yetta seems to be happy now and that she came without Pita, have made for a fairly relaxed and enjoyable visit. That isn't to say, however, that the visit hasn't been without its moments. Yetta has, as is expected, shared her opinion on several things, and she has also vented quite a lot about Pita. In an attempt to process it all in preparation for our visit to Homestate in July, here is a smattering of what has been shared.
  • Canada is a country without religion as no one ever talks about church. As Yetta hasn't really spoken to anyone but us during her visit, this statement translates to: I want my grandchildren to go to church, and you need to do something about that. This is something that is fairly easy to ignore. She isn't here on a daily basis, and she doesn't really know what we teach our boys about religion. Nor is that really any of her business. 
  • Pita knows I've deleted her off of FB, which must mean that I hate her, that I think she's stupid, that I think she's unworthy of being my children's aunt, that I won't allow her to spend anytime with the boys when we're in Homestate, that I think she's untrustworthy, and any other number of things. I told Yetta that if Pita wants to discuss this with me, she knows how to get in touch with me. Yetta asked point blank why I deleted her. I said that I use FB as a way to keep in touch with people I don't see regularly. I don't want to log on to see pictures of my friends' children and find a message from Pita telling me that I'm a hateful, horrible, ungrateful person who doesn't understand what it is like to be as single woman and that as a proclaimed feminist I should understand what a single woman like Pita has to go through (yes, friends, that is essentially what her last FB message to me said, and that is why I deleted her). I said if Pita wants to communicate with me she has my email address and phone number. I also said that I don't hate her; I do not, however, feel called upon to deal with such messages from anyone. If my own sister sent me messages like that I'd delete her too. As I tried to explain to Yetta, it was a means of protecting myself. I left the conversation at that, but I know she brought the issue up again with Archer. 
  • Pita is also convinced we've spent the entire visit talking about her. Has Yetta vented? Sure, and we've let her vent while keeping our comments to a minimum. Here's the thing. Two adult women live together in what can only be described as a co-dependent relationship. Pita is not the easiest person to get along with (and neither is Yetta, but to her credit, she admits this), so Yetta needs to vent. Yetta knows we won't turn around and tell Pita everything she's said, so she vents. And on some level, I think Yetta actually thinks she can "fix" the problems in the relationship by meddling. 
  • Pita apparently thinks I'm dismissive and short with her on the phone. This came about when she called at 8:40 on Friday night. We'd let Wild Man stay up past his 8:00 bedtime to watch a movie with Yetta, and as he was getting ready for bed, he complained that his finger hurt. I looked at it and saw he had a splinter. Archer and I were in the middle of trying to keep Wild Man calm while we tried to get the splinter out of his finger when Pita called. I answered the phone and said, "Hi, how are you? I can't really talk now. I'm trying to get a splinter out of Wild Man's finger. Here's your mom." Apparently I was rude and hurt Pita's feelings. I apparently do this on a regular basis. When Yetta told me this, I said, "Well, maybe I do, but Pita routinely calls at dinner time or bed time and wants to talk to Wild Man and Bear. She then gets upset when Archer or I tell her that it isn't a good time to talk. She knows our routine. We've told her that the best time to call is Sunday morning." 
  • From this exchange, Archer learned that it is my responsibility to make sure Pita has a good relationship with Wild Man and Bear. I am the one who is supposed to call her when it is convenient and when the boys want to talk on the phone. Yes, that's right, it is my job to ensure Wild Man and Bear have a close relationship with their father's sister. After all, Pita talks to J, her's and Archer's brother's wife almost every single day. J makes sure that her children talk to Pita several times a week. I need to take a lesson from J and be a better sister-in-law. 
  • I could go on and on, but rather than helping me process all of this, I'm just getting more irritated. 
  • What I've learned in the last week is that Pita is angry at me--or she is directing her anger at me. She is convinced I hate her and that I will not allow her to spend anytime with Wild Man and Bear. She thinks I don't trust her and that I will sabotage her relationship with the boys. I haven't, nor will I, respond to these statements from Pita via Yetta. Really, I think it all a bit absurd. Actually that isn't true. I think it is hateful, antagonistic, and mean-spirited. I think all of this is a precursor to the inevitable fight that will occur during our visit. I think Pita will be nasty and mean, and I think she will start the fight in front of my children. Archer said as much to Yetta, and Yetta said, "Oh, I think it will be okay." I then said, "I need you to know that I will do my absolute best not to engage her and that I will try my hardest to keep my temper. But if Pita starts something in front of my children, I will put them in our car and go to my parents' house for the duration of the visit. I fully realize that isn't fair to you at all, but I will not tolerate my children being exposed to the kinds of outbursts I have had to endure." Archer then added, "Wild Man will not forget such an outburst. If Pita yells at me or M in front of him, he will be very, very upset, and he won't forget it. It will change his perception of Pita, whom he loves dearly." Yetta said, "I hope she won't start anything in front of the boys." I wanted to say, "Having the boys in the room didn't keep you from calling me a horrible, selfish daughter-in-law the last time we visited," but I didn't. 
  • So there will be some sort of altercation during our visit. I will be the object of said altercation. After the said altercation, I will be expected to forgive and forget. I will be expected to act like it never happened. I will be repeatedly told, "That is just Pita. She isn't going to change, so you should just forget about everything she said." The visit will be ruined because any outburst she has will be the only topic of conversation with Archer's family for the rest of the visit. Any support Yetta has promised in the past week will not appear because Pita is her daughter and they live together. I will cry. I will get sick to my stomach from the stress. I will want to leave and go home early. I will be expected to put on a happy face and get through it. I will be expected to make up or else I will be called a bitch (or much, much worse) behind my back. Archer will be forced to hear Pita say all sorts of awful things about me as a way to bait him into a fight. He will be told that I'm selfish, that I don't value family, that I privilege my family (i.e., my siblings and parents) over their family, that I'm an overprotective mother (okay, so that one is true), that I don't like to have other people take care of my kids (and that is also true), that I don't think anyone can do it as well as I can (well, no one other than Archer), that I think I'm better than her and everyone in their hometown.  Archer will be so stressed out that he will inadvertently snap at me, and I'll burst into tears because I'll be stressed out from being on edge waiting for Pita to attack. Then we'll have a stupid, pointless fight even though we're not mad at one another at all.
  • And they wonder why I don't want to visit more.

5 comments:

Lilian said...

:( Oh dear... I have no words -- how stressful it must be for you just to think of this visit. Sigh.

You know, I hope that if you can prepare yourself as well as you can (by "venting" ahead of time to us and talking extensively with Archer too), it won't be as awful as you describe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. Why can't Yetta at least try to convey to Pita that she CANNOT do any such thing in front of your boys?
(sigh again)

Anonymous said...

Every time I go home to visit, I remember why I don't like to visit home. And it's stuff like this. I don't blame you for keeping your distance.

I'm a little out of the loop now that my mom doesn't talk to me but we did have a family dinner and my cousins and aunts and uncles came. My cousin and his wife were there and she's really nice, I like her a lot, but they live kind of far away and they have two little girls and both of them work, so they don't tend to stay super long. My grandmother was having a fit--served dessert before dinner was over because "J and A are going to leave any minute." And then when they did leave--in time to get kids home, bathed, and in bed--they weren't out the front door before my aunt turned on the poor girl talking about how when she calls A. does this and then A. does that and can you believe how horrible she was today blah blah blah.

I seriously thought of you. Because A. cannot do anything right for these people. I don't see that you can for Yetta and Pita, either. I defended A. but was told that I don't really know how cold she is because I'm not around.

It's like they eat in-laws. Seriously.

Anyway, my mom had that same sense that it was up to me to keep her connected with my kids (until she disowned me). She blames me for the fact that they aren't close. I don't see how this is my problem.

M said...

I'm consciously trying to rethink how I respond to them. I know I can't change their behavior, and I have changed a lot of mine hoping they would change in response to no avail. So I'm just trying to change how I respond. I have to remind myself every single day that it isn't about me. But that's really hard, you know? Because deep down, I automatically think, "Why can't they like me? What is wrong with me that they can't like me even a little bit?" It isn't about me, but I do take it personally. So I'm working on that.

And you're right, Anastasia, I can't do anything right. I do think this visit went well, but I also know my MIL well enough to know that I will hear about all the things I did wrong through the grapevine. I have given up. I do focus on making myself happy and trying to keep Wild Man and Bear happy.

And Lilian, I so love that you think Yetta has any control or desire to control Pita. Remember she's the one who berated me in front of my children during our last visit.

There's a reason why we went to Italy for Christmas.

M said...

Oh, and Anastasia, I do the same exact thing that A. does all the time--I try to keep my children on a schedule during visits. This often means we're forcing people to leave early or to eat later than they want. And you know I take all kinds of sh*t for it.

rented life said...

"It's like they eat in-laws." Thanks Anastasia, I will forever think of that when I look at my angry MIL. Though I imagine I'm too fatty for her.