Thursday, July 21, 2011

Um, seriously?

I've spent the afternoon reading what was once (and still is by many) considered to be THE source on slavery in the American South.  While it has been helpful in helping me better understand the relative frequency of marriage ceremonies between enslaved individuals, I am astounded by the faulty conclusions the author makes over and over again.  Even though the book was written over 30 years ago (but it still widely cited by historians), I cannot believe the number of times the author makes unfounded claims.  The author even repeatedly offers compelling evidence to disprove his own points, but then goes on to reaffirm hir own argument.  Seriously, if this was considered ground breaking with such faulty argumentation can someone please explain to me why my essays keep getting rejected?

2 comments:

j. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j. said...

First, what is the source in question?

Second, read primary documents, such as:
Thorton Stringfellow's, "A Scriptual View of Slavery," http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/string/string.html

or Thomas Dew, "The abolition of Negro Slavery." I can get you a copy of both of these and, maybe, a few others.

2:51 PM