Wednesday, March 07, 2012

A pet peeve

I really want to post the following on Facebook, but it will cause less controversy here. 

To those who believe women should be friends simply because they are women:

First, I can only assume that if you believe this you are a man, which is perhaps a false assumption.  But as your also making a false assumption, I think my false assumption is merited.  Are you friends with all men simply because you are also a man? No, in fact, I would venture to guess that you've met a lot of men in your lifetime that you sincerely dislike.  Whether that dislike is based on a difference in religion, politics, or personality, it matters not; the reality of life is that we don't like everyone we meet.  There is no unifying sisterhood of women.  I am a woman, yes, and I like lots of women.  I do not, however, like or support every single women in the world.  Why?  Well, sometimes our beliefs simply do not agree, thereby making it hard for me to like such women. 

Oh, and just as a point of reference, if you have to start a statement in the following way, "I'm all for women's rights, but. . . " you've just proven that you are, in fact, NOT for women's rights.  I'd have much more respect for you if you stopped pretending and just owned up to the fact that you're sexist and do not believe in equality among the sexes.

Thanks for the chat,
M.

No comments: