Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I get it already

*I have to say this and I don't really have anywhere else to say it, so I'm putting it here.  Please take this disclaimer to know that this post isn't directed at any of my close friends or regular readers.

We are officially out of the closet to everyone.  We even went so far as to post an ultrasound image on Facebook to share with our family and friends.  Why such a public statement?  Well, we realized that there were many, many people who didn't know about #3.  This seemed the easiest way to inform everyone in one shot without having to get into a lengthy discussion with lots of people.

The response has been overwhelmingly supportive.  A few people have expressed surprise, but in a very pleasant way.  And given my own initial reaction, I cannot fault anyone for being surprised.  So mostly everyone is happy we're expecting.  A few people, none of them close friends or family, have gone out of their way to express disappointment that #3 is a boy.  Okay, fine, whatever.  Say it and move on.  I can deal with, "Oh, I was hoping you'd have a girl."  I can handle, "Oh, three boys!  How unfair!"  I can even accept, "I'm so disappointed.  I wanted a girl."  I can accept all of those statements once.  I will chalk them up to the fact that the people making them don't know me that well, aren't aware of how much I value boundaries, and how much I see statements like this as offensive to me and my boys.  I can bite my tongue and keep my snappy retorts to myself once, twice, maybe even three times.  But when such statements are made by someone whom I view to be little more than an acquaintance over and over and over again--both to me privately and publicly--I start to lose my patience.  So to those people, I say--I get it.  You're sad.  I've validated your sadness over the fact that my baby is a boy.  Now shut up about it already.

2 comments:

AcadeMama said...

I realy want to create a YouTube video called "Shit People Say to Pregnant Women." If I did, things like this would totally be included! I'm sorry you have to deal with this b.s.

M said...

Thanks, AM. I am also tired of the assumption that I'm unhappy about a third boy. I mean, yes, a girl would have been nice, exciting, lovely. But I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything. I don't feel as though my entire being has been deprived of something by not experiencing a mother-daughter relationship. After all, I've already experienced that from the daughter's perspective, and frankly, that relationship is all kinds of messed up.