Friday, March 02, 2012

The Ultrasound

I had my 20 week U/S this morning, and following the hospital's policy, the tech was not allowed to tell us the baby's sex.  The radiologist will look at the images taken by the tech and then draft a report.  I'll be able to call my midwife on Wednesday to get the results.  I did, however, ask the tech if she got a good image of the appropriate area, and she said, "Yes, I don't think the doctor will have any trouble reading the image."  Archer and I left the appointment speculating on what that means (we both think this suggests that the baby is a boy), but we'll see what we see.  Following the appointment we had lunch and started debating names.  As with both Wild Man and Bear, boys' names are easier for us.  We have two names (nope, I'm not sharing) that we really like, although we're struggling with a middle name for one of these names.  Girls' names are harder for us, for some reason.  We have a list of about seven or eight, and we know the middle name will either be for Archer's grandmother or will be the same as my middle name (depending on the first name).  There isn't, however, a clear front runner.

Where am I on the baby's sex?  I've been thinking about this a lot.  I honestly thought I'd be a bit disappointed if the baby wasn't a girl, but now that the tech's statements have both of us thinking boy, I'm feeling relief and excitement.  Really, a boy would be easier.  I have lots of hand-me-downs (not that I am the type of person who is opposed to putting a girl in boys' clothes), and well, our house is geared for boys.  A third boy would simply enhance the chaos that is already present in our home and our lives, whereas a girl, well, a girl would enhance it in a different way--mostly, I think because of how other people would respond to us having a girl.  Archer and I wouldn't need to go out and buy a bunch of pink, but some of our friends and family members definitely would. But, as Archer put it this morning, a boy would be wonderful while a girl would allow us to experience things we haven't yet experienced as parents.  So we'll see what we see.

No comments: