Friday, April 25, 2008

A decision has been reached

C has made a decision. He has accepted one offer and turned down the other (a very surreal experience, he informed me). We finally know where we will be in the fall, which is a big relief to me. He still hasn't signed the official contract (although he has received a letter of intent from the dean of the college), so I'm still not prepared to talk about anything specifically yet lest I jinx us. I will say that the atmosphere in our home has been infinitely more relaxed in the past few days. I can't begin to say how lovely it was to have my entire family in the same place for an entire week!

In other news, C asked about partner placement. Although this isn't something University X (sorry, but it is the best pseudonym I can come up with at the moment) will consider until I've finished my dissertation, they will consider it then--in fact, they are writing it into his contract, something I've been told is unheard of. The dean is speaking to the English Department about me (I spent the weekend revising my CV and writing a short description of my dissertation and teaching experience), and she is trying to work out a part-time lectureship for me. These people have been really wonderful with the entire negotiation process, so wonderful that C really hasn't had to negotiate all that much. Frankly, after past several months (not to mention his entire graduate student experience), I feel like C deserves to be treated so well!

6 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Yay :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, yay, yay. And can I just say how happy the three of us are that you'll be so close to our families? Visits will be much more frequent now, and Wild Man and Sweet Baby J can actually be friends... or, at least, know each others' names!

M said...

I'm sure they will be fast friends. Oh, and Supa, Wild Man has been roaming around the house all week saying "Alice! Woo, woo! Alice!" He is in love with your dog. :)

Lilian said...

AWESOME!!! Congratulations again for C. And do please please please email me and let me know if it's anywhere slightly close to where we are!

I'm so thrilled for you guys, you cannot even begin to imagine! And a possible job for you? Wow, the cherry on top!

M said...

Unfortunately Lilian, we won't be close to you at all. :(

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! And possibly even double-yay!!!