Monday, April 21, 2008

Lots of News

There is lots of news to report, most of it good. There is so much, in fact, that I'm going to resort to bullets.

  • Despite my own paranoia, I am making good progress on my second chapter. I emailed my advisor last week to tell her I'd get her a draft by the end of the month, and she said that since she couldn't get to it until after she gives her final exam to work on it until the first week of May and send it then. That gives me just enough time to have a complete draft, including some sort of conclusion (I'm not always great at conclusions!).
  • C received 2 job offers late last week. I'm not going to go into specifics right now because he is in the very early stages of negotiating. We do have a preference, but with so much to work out, I'm going to wait to blog about things more specifically. This comes as a big relief to C as he was beginning to wonder if he'd ever get an offer. I can't express how proud I am of him--he has worked so hard for this moment. He truly was like a different person this weekend, or rather, he was back to normal, not scrambling to get things done or feeling guilty about having to leave again. All of the stress and frustration of the past several months was worth it to see the look on his face when he realized that he had not one, but two offers.
  • Now that he has these 2 offers, he has decided not to go to his last on-campus interview, which was scheduled for this week. It isn't a school he is very interested in, and even if he did get an offer there, he wouldn't accept it over the offers he does have. For the first time since the beginning of March, both of us will be home all week long! That is almost as exciting as the two offers!
  • For the past 2 nights, Wild Man has decided that he did not want to nurse before going to sleep. In fact, last night he asked to be put in his crib. He got somewhat upset when C left his room, but after a few minutes, he calmed down and put himself to sleep. It seems my boy may have decided to wean himself. I have mixed feelings about this; I'm not altogether ready for him to stop nursing. I still like having that as our special time. That said, I was planning to wean him before my research trip this summer, so if he decides to do it himself, that will certainly be much easier than forcibly weaning.
  • Going against what I thought made the most sense, C has decided to discuss these offers with his family. He isn't soliciting their opinions, and he has made it clear that the do not get an opinion. They have, however, had opinions, none of them good. They don't like either offer as neither moves us considerably closer to them. It seems they all, particularly Yetta and Pita, forgot how to say "Congratulations! We're so happy for you! I can't imagine how good this must feel." Instead, Yetta rattled off a list of questions about how often we'd be able to visit and why didn't he get any interviews at schools closer to them. For her part, Pita immediately burst into tears and said "Now I'll never have a relationship with Wild Man." I must say this statement really, really irritates me. They have no concept of how lucky they are to live in the same state as their entire family for so long, and they also have no concept how lucky they are to live in the same city as C's older brother, his wife, and their two boys. But it really irritates me because of my own familial situation. I never lived in the same state as any of my extended family, but I am very, very close to my maternal grandparents, my mom's youngest sister, and several of my cousins. Yes, it takes a bit more work to have a "relationship," but it isn't impossible. So I'd like to thank my in-laws for, as usual, making life all about them.

9 comments:

AcadeMama said...

Woohoo!! Congratulations to C! That's fantastic news for him, and I'm sure you must be totally proud of him :)

M said...

Proud doesn't even begin to express it!

Anonymous said...

Holy fantastic news! And how very nice to have choices. That speaks volumes about C.

As for C's family, I can understand your frustration. And not to minimize how you feel, but I can kind of understand theirs as well. Of course I have no idea what the situation is, but my belief is that nobody outside academia truly understands the grind that is the tenure-track job search and the amazing accomplishment it is to reach this point in the journey. They just know there are colleges and universities everywhere and that their son is brilliant and wonderful, so of course he could work closer to home if he really wanted to. I think you're right that Pita's (still cracks me up the way you arrived at this name) comments are all about her--she probably doesn't even realize they could be personally offensive to you and your family's situation. She just wishes she had more time with Wild Man and, honestly, how could she not? It doesn't mean she's not proud, although I totally get how it feels that way to you. You guys have so much going for you--try not to let her rain on your parade.

M said...

Thanks, Jennie. I do try to remember that her sentiment is in the right place. What frustrates me the most is that I feel like they put all the responsibility for visiting and making sure they have a relationship with Wild Man on us. I also believe that unless you're an academic or involved with an academic you probably won't understand what is entailed in finding an academic position. But I do wish they would believe us when we say that we too wish we were closer to our families. They really seem to believe that we choose to live so far away from them, not that is just the nature of academia. My family gets it a little better but only because my dad was in the military. More than anything I wish she had remembered to tell C congratulations because that did hurt his feelings.

And believe me, there isn't anything that can rain on this parade!

Anonymous said...

Putting all the responsibility on us to ensure they have a relationship with their grandson: my husband's family.

Never proud or celebrating accomplishments: my family.

I hear ya!

Amy Reads said...

Hi M,
Wonderful news all around (except for the weaning, but that's mixed blessings, I'm sure). Congratulate C for me!
Ciao,
Amy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lilian said...

Congratulations to C!! That's terrific!! Two offers!! Wow! I'm really happy for you and can't wait to hear more once the decision is made.

About weaning, doesn't he still want to nurse in the morning? With both my sons, the morning session was the last one to go. I felt quite sad when they quit the nightly session, but they continued with the morning one (Kelvin until he was 4 and I said no more). Anyway... it's always sad when it happens, that's for sure.

I'm sorry about your in-laws and their reaction. As expatriates who have been living far away from our families I think we're very blessed that in spite of being sad that we live very far away our parents make the effort to visit and don't really complain much (my poor mom does make some negative moments at time, but since she and my dad have had the privilege/burden of living with us for months at a time, this makes it less hard for them). You totally have my sympathy on this...

M said...

Hey Lilian, I actually started slowly cutting out the morning session about a month ago. Wild Man would often not ask to nurse in the morning, so I stopped offering. For about 2 weeks, I used the don't offer don't refuse method, and then starting last week, I started saying no and redirecting him if he asked to nurse in the mornings. It's been almost a week and a half since he nursed in the morning, so we're down to the bedtime session. I don't really want to wean him, but I do want him to learn how to go to sleep on his own. Despite my own mixed emotions, I do believe it would be too cruel to go away for a week without having weaned him. As my friend said when she recently had to be away from her son for 9 days, "I can't take away Mommy and the boobies at the same time." I'm trying to take his willingness to go to bed without nursing as a positive sign.