Thursday, December 04, 2008

Coming out of the closet

Following yesterday's post on keeping things close to my vest, I've decided to come out of the closet.

I am 12 weeks pregnant.

I feel like I needed to give that one some space to sink in, if not for all my friends in the blogosphere then for me. Yes, I am 12 weeks pregnant, and I am still digesting that information. Whereas it took us about 7 or 8 months (depending on if you ask me or C) of actively trying to conceive Wild Man, we conceived our second child after a five minute conversation that went something like this.

C: I think we should talk about having another baby.

M: Um, are you crazy?

C: Seriously, now is as good a time as any. In fact, if you got pregnant right now, the baby would be born in June, right? We'd both be home the entire summer, which would be great. We wouldn't have to rush back to work. We'd actually have time to get acclimated before the fall semester starts. You'll be finished with your dissertation, and you'd have the baby before you go on the job market. Wild Man will be almost 3. I think it is a great time.

M: Um, are you crazy?

And I really did think that was the end of the conversation. But apparently in the throws of passion, when asked about birth control, I said, "What the hell?" which is, actually, the sort of thing I would say as I assumed it would take work to get pregnant a second time, just as it took some work (not a lot, mind you) to get pregnant the first time. Apparently, it didn't take much work at all.

When my period was late, I thought, "Huh, I guess I could be pregnant, but really, it isn't possible. We always use protection, except for that one time." I waited a few days, and when I said something to C, he said "You're pregnant. Let's go buy a test." So we did, and I took it the next morning, all the while knowing I wasn't pregnant. Well, I was. And this time the experience of taking a pregnancy test was completely different. With Wild Man I woke up early, took the test, waited for the results, and then, when I saw the positive sign, I woke up C and showed him the test. We both cried a little and were so excited. This time I thought I'd try to do the same thing. But while I was taking the test Wild Man woke up and needed to use the potty, so while I was peeing on a stick, Wild Man was peeing in his little potty while C supervised the both of us. The test showed a positive sign within 30 seconds. C smiled and kissed me; I felt a little sick to my stomach. I mean, here's the thing: I feel like we've got the parenting thing down--with one kid. What's going to happen when we throw another kid into the mix? I guess you could say I've been feeling a bit ambivalent about this second pregnancy.

Slowly, I've come to terms with the idea of a second baby. It helped that C named the baby almost immediately, just as he did with Wild Man. Whereas Wild Man was known as the Seedling in utero, our second child has been dubbed Z, as in zygote. I have to hand it to my husband; he is a pretty wonderful guy. He understood my ambivalence completely, and as if to help me through that, he embraced this pregnancy wholeheartedly from the beginning. He immediately began talking to Z. Well before I began experiencing morning sickness (or, rather, all day sickness followed by gut wrenching vomiting that Wild Man now frequently imitates), he stocked up on ginger ale, crackers, club soda, and life savers, all things that helped my nausea when I was carrying Wild Man. He met with all the right people at CU to find out about paternal leave, and he has determined that he will be the one to take that leave rather than me as he will get almost his full salary whereas I'd get peanuts. As he has fallen in love with Z, he's made me see how we can make this work, and he's helped me fall in love with Z too.

So there it is. I will be about 34 weeks pregnant when I defend my dissertation. I will have a 2 month old in tow when I walk across the stage to receive my hood (and I will be getting that hood even if I have to nurse Z while my adviser puts it on me!). Despite my initial ambivalence and all the things we still have to figure out, I feel good about this new journey we're taking. I'm well aware of all the complications of being an academic couple with two children, and I'm well aware how I'm likely to be viewed by my peers when they learn that I have 2 young children. But I know we can do this, and more to the point, I know this is right for us.

*On a side note, I have yet to share any of this information with any faculty members of Southwest College. If you know me in real life, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep this information to yourself for the time being.

9 comments:

supadiscomama said...

Well, I already knew--but I'm still excited about it :)

Anonymous said...

WOOT!

I so understand your ambivalence. It makes sense, really. And it won't necessarily be easy. But if it's right, it's right.

so congratulations!!

AcadeMama said...

Congratulations!! Ambivalence is a nicer way of phrasing what I felt before Eliza came along. I knew what to do with one, and I thought I'd done pretty well so far, but I had no idea what kind of mother of two I'd be.

I hope you start feeling better soon and that the pregnancy is wonderful and healthy!

Anonymous said...

You and C are my heroes. Seriously. I teared up reading your story. I am so happy for you guys.

thursdaynext.21 said...

That really is wonderful news!

Kate said...

WOW! You two are both truly amazing. I love your honesty, and am so glad to know I'm not the only one who suspects baby #2 will bring some ambivalence at first (though it is likely years away). Congrats to you, C, Wildman and Z :).

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Congrats! And FWIW, I've seen a growing number of women with 2 young kids at my R1 school and they're thriving.

Anonymous said...

When it's right, it's right. I am thrilled for you all!

Lilian said...

Congratulations!!!

All it took for us to get pregnant with Linton was one unprotected occasion too. I even did the test one day before the prescribed 14 days because I just knew. I felt ambivalent the whole pregnancy, particularly because Kelvin was going to be only 27 months when he would be born. And I knew it would take me much longer to finish, which it did -- nearly 4 years.

Now... for me, having a second baby was overwhelming for some reason. I hope it's easier for you. I don't want to say anymore for fear of making you feel even more ambivalent or scared. But, in the end, you'll be fine. You WILL have already finish, and that, my friend, that will make ALL the difference in the world, believe me!!

P.S. the timing of Linton's arrival couldn't have been more perfect, though. He was born in May, same hospital as Kelvin, everything the same (even the nurse midwife, isn't that unbelievable?)... and two months later we moved and I lost my health insurance (thankfully the boys went under the free state sponsored insurance right away).