Monday, December 08, 2008

Job frustration

My friends who know me well know that I don't always deal with change very well. I am, by nature, a creature of routine. I like to know when things are going to happen so that I can plan. Of course, the fact that I've chosen to pursue a career in academia means that there is often a lot of uncertainty in my life.

As I wrote last week, the job situation is not good at CU, at least not for me. I met with Dr. Feminist last week, and she has been able to earmark one course for me next year, in the spring. She can't guarantee anything for the fall because of budget limitations. She told me that she was able to give me two courses this year because the Dean had "found" the money, which I knew. But this year's assignments didn't come with any guarantee that the Dean would "find" money again, which I didn't know. Let me clarify: I knew that I primarily got hired because of C, and frankly, I was (and am) ok with that. But I knew that I would only continue teaching at CU because of me; C may have gotten me in the door, but I am the one who has to keep me hear and, ultimately, turn the job into a tenure-track line. The Dean (who is, of course, no longer the Dean) did, however, lead us to believe that there would be a few years of part-time funding for me since she realized that me teaching here was a retention issue for C. It seems that this wasn't the case. The money was guaranteed only for this year, and now if Women's Studies wants to keep hiring me to teach part-time, they have to lobby the new Dean for money. Well, since I've been hired, the economy has gone to crap, and CU is at the end of a budget cycle. Deans and department heads across the board are starting to be conservative with their spending as they have no guarantees from the Canadian government what sort of funding they will get for the next 3-year budget cycle.

So what does this mean for us? Dr. Nice Guy, C's department head, was told point blank by the new Dean that she couldn't come up with any money for me, either for a term-appointment or a tenure-track line, unless C was in a position to leave. Meaning either one or both of us has to get a job at a comparable school and use that as leverage to get me a tenure-track job in either Women's Studies or English. I know all you academics are thinking: not so unusual. Well, this is actually a bit unusual for CU, which has a history of partner placement. In fact, both Dr. Nice Guy and the previous Dean had told C on multiple occasions (before he accepted the job) that I probably wouldn't have to have a job offer to secure a tenure track line at CU. He was told over and over again that they value their employees, have strong retention policies, and have high rates of partner placement. While I never really believed this (it seemed too good to be true), it did provide us both with a modicum of comfort. Now it seems that we will have to do things the old-fashioned way.

So why is this a source of so much frustration, since I knew inherently all along that this is the route we'd have to go? For two reasons. First, I'm now in the position of not having a teaching position for the fall. I am, of course, already looking. I'm being pro-active, which isn't always something I'm great at. I've already contacted the head of the English Department (the whole reason I didn't get courses there this year was because they had already hired all their part-time people by the time C was offered the job), and he has seemed very receptive. I have a meeting with him next week. Second, C loves his job. As nervous as he was about taking a position at an R1, he loves it, as I knew he would. He's already been asked to present at his field's major conference next spring, submitted an internal grant for research money, and proposed a major curiculum change for his department. On top of that, he has been solicited by a publisher to turn his dissertation into a book, and he actually has time to work on a book prospectus. He has also started working on an article. Because he was teaching a 4-4 load and commuting an hour each way, he didn't have time to do these things when he was lecturing at the small liberal arts college near Southwest College Town, a job that was slowly sucking the life out of him. In short, my husband is flourishing here. I don't want to be the reason he has to leave CU. I honestly don't see myself getting a job at a comparable school the first year on the market, which will be next year. And given the nature of my field and the economy, I am fully aware it will likely take me two years (if not more) to even get an offer. All of which means, I will be facing some job uncertainty for a while. It's times like these when I ask myself: M, why didn't you go to nursing school?

6 comments:

p-duck said...

Undoubtedly, all you've mentioned is cause for stress. I'm a perpetual optimist and think things will somehow work out for you all. I had no idea PW has had so much happen since he left here--please give him a hearty congratulations for all he's accomplished since we last saw him.
Another way to look at the possible time lapse between job hunting and teaching at CU is to take the opportunity to work on your own stuff. Once the diss is done, persue articles, etc. that will give you an edge on the market.
Good luck!

M said...

In theory, that's a great idea, but if I'm not teaching, we can't afford to send Wild Man to school, not even the 4 days a week we're sending him now. And if I'm not teaching, we really can't even afford the minor pay cut C would take if he goes on family leave. With a 3 year old and a newborn at home, I'll be hard-pressed to even do the amount of work I'll need to do to go on the market.

supadiscomama said...

As for being "the reason that C has to leave" his job at CU--that's part of the game, and we are all fully aware of it going in. Of course, it totally sucks that CU has bailed on all of their promises. It really is deplorable. And I, of course, hope you end up getting *something* in the Fall to help with finances. Ultimately, though, when you're finished, the possibility (or probability) of you guys leaving CU will be there. It has always been there. And, while it's great that C is doing so well and is enjoying his job, it is equally important that you have the opportunity to do the same--even if it means taking gigs at smaller schools. So, stop beating yourself up! All you can do is what you're already doing.

P.S. CU would be totally stupid to let you guys go.

Anonymous said...

Well put, Supadiscomamma. 'Stop beating yourself up!' Although C is thriving at CU, the institution must not value him as much as they claim to if they put him in this position. D has seen this time and time again when the institution fails to step up in terms of spousal placement. Stay positive. I'm sure something will come along...

M said...

To be fair to CU, they couldn't have anticipated the serious downturn in the economy. And, as you rightly point out, Supa, I knew (and know) that this move would likely not be our last. Such is the nature of academia. So I'll follow your advice and try to stop beating myself up. But I am disappointed to be dealing with these things so soon during our time here--just as I'm disappointed that this horrific economy may negatively affect what is already a difficult job market for me and all my academic friends.

Lilian said...

Hmmm... I'm sorry you have to be stressed out about this, but... if that helps (and I know it probably won't), please thing of those like us whose situation is much more dire than yours.

We can only hope that K can get an offer someday and somewhere we may want to move to. As for me, I don't think I will ever have an academic position and, frankly, at this point, I don't care. I could never have gone to nursing school because it's not something I could ever do... I just wonder what else I could/ should have done with my life. Most probably library science. much more useful.

Sorry about my own negativity :-(.