Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Annoying Questions

In the past few days, I've gotten a string of annoying questions from both my mom and from C's mom. Every single question revolves around Z's sex. I swear we didn't get any questions like this when I was pregnant with Wild Man. I'm starting to regret that we found out Z's sex as it seems to be the only thing our moms can think about. Here are a sampling of the questions.
  • Are you sure Z's a girl? If Yetta asks this question one more time I will transport myself through the phone and strangle her.
  • Are you buying girly things for her? This seems to be my mom's favorite as she asks it almost every time we talk. I give my standard answer: Well, we haven't bought much at all to be honest. We have a lot of stuff leftover from Wild Man, which is mostly yellow, green, and white. But we have got a few things that are clearly for a girl.
  • Can I buy her (fill in the blank here)? Again, this is my mom and I give my standard answer: You can buy her whatever you want, Mom. Note: I only give my mom this answer as my mom is infinitely practical with gifts. My mom rarely buys toys for her grandkids, and when she does, she will only do so when they are with her. I would never tell Yetta this as I'd wind up with a room full of Madame Alexander dolls. I appreciate that my mom wants to ensure we'll use whatever she buys Z, but I get tired of answering this question over and over again.
  • What is Z turns out to be a boy? Both moms are asking this question incessantly. I'm so annoyed by the implications of this question that I can't even answer it. I just ignore it. I mean seriously, the sex isn't important to us. As I've said before, we've started thinking of Z as a girl, so it will mean revamping our thinking. But I know as soon as we see the baby we'll be so happy to hold Z in our arms that we won't care if she has a vagina or if he has a penis.
  • Do you think you will have another ultrasound? This one has become Yetta's new favorite. She is very invested in having a granddaughter, so she seems to want some sort of guarantee that Z is, in fact, 100% girl. While C and I won't be disappointed if Z turns out to be a boy, I know that Yetta will, and that makes me very, very sad.
Lest anyone think I'm being overly hormonal or altogether unreasonable, I'm actually quite happy to talk about Z with either my mom or C's mom, and most of their questions don't annoy me at all. It is just starting to feel as though they are both hung up on her sex--Yetta because she wants a granddaughter so desperately and my mom because she's afraid I'm going to be disappointed.

4 comments:

supadiscomama said...

What if you mentioned to Yetta that her concern over Z being a girl makes you think that she wouldn't be as happy if Z is a boy? And, obviously, that's a terrible thing to be thinking...or suggesting (on her part).

M said...

C has brought it up as tactfully as I think is possible. And she assures him that she won't be disappointed, but she still keeps asking about Z's sex. She also mentions all the things she's excited to do with Z, and these are all things that are clearly gendered, at least in her mind. I want her to love both of my children equally, but I know that if Z does prove to be a girl Yetta will show a clear preference for her over Wild Man. We honestly don't know what to do about it other than grin and bear it.

supadiscomama said...

Maybe tactful isn't the way to go anymore... :)

M said...

On some level, I agree, but on another level, I just don't have the energy to deal with it. Her reaction will be what it is. I don't anticipate that she'll be any more interested in Z than she is in Wild Man. I realize that sounds awful on my part. What I mean is, she isn't going to be anymore inclined to play with Z than she does with Wild Man. She'll just sit back and observe, which is what she does with all of her grandkids. She will, unfortunately, buy Z more stuff than she does Wild Man. And living in another country will certainly work in our favor with that.