Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mothering a Stubborn Child

Wild Man is smart, funny, adventurous, daring, artistic, dramatic, polite, and kind.  Wild Man is also stubborn.  Archer and I have experienced many difficult parenting moments as a result of Wild Man's stubbornness, and we generally get through these moments with a modicum of disruption to our routine, our parenting styles, and our daily lives.  We constantly remind ourselves that we are both stubborn and that our stubbornness has served us well in life as it has led to determination to accomplish the goals we set for ourselves. 

I am the kind of mother that wants Wild Man to ask questions and to understand how things happen and how they work.  At times, Archer feels I allow Wild Man too much room to question and to discuss, but generally Archer agrees with me.  This means we spend a fair amount of time talking about things like why we wear snow boots in the winter.  Despite my belief that this is the right way for us to parent, there are moments when I really just want Wild Man to be quiet and to do as I ask him.  You know, when we're 20 minutes late and I have to be on campus for office hours.  At those moments I'd really just like Wild Man to do as I ask him rather than telling me that Morton, his imaginary pterandon, doesn't have to wear snow boots or that Morton's mommy also said Wild Man doesn't have to wear snow boots. 

For the past three days, Wild Man has been running a fever between 101 and 103.5.  Wild Man is rarely sick, so this is a bit unusual for us.  On Saturday, when he began complaining that the fever was making him uncomfortable, I said, "Well, let's take some medicine.  It will bring your fever down and make you feel better."  Wild Man hasn't had Motrin in a long, long time, but he has seen us give it to Bear, who generally takes it without incident.  So I poured the correct amount in the medicine cup and gave it to Wild Man, who proceeded to drink it down.  And then he proceeded to hold it in his mouth for 15 minutes until he gagged himself.  I told him he couldn't watch any TV until he took his medicine.  He was feeling really crappy, so this wasn't an issue for him at all.  In fact, he curled up on the couch and went to sleep for 2 hours.  When he woke up, his fever was up to 103, and he finally agreed to take some Motrin.  He was feeling better within 15 minutes.  He said, "You were right, Mommy!  The medicine did make me feel better."  I thought we had solved the problem.

Fast forward to yesterday evening.  His fever had returned accompanied with a cough.  I prepared a dose of cough medicine and Motrin.  I reminded him that he had taken both in the past and that both had made him feel better.  He point blank refused to take either one.  Archer and I discussed it with him.  We explained the entire process, reminding him that he would feel better.  We went against every parenting principle we have connected to food and offered him candy as a reward.  I offered to take him to McDonalds today for lunch (Wild Man learned about McDonalds during our trip to the States to attend my grandmother's funeral, and he loves it).  He refused.  So we sent him to bed without the usual stories and told him he couldn't watch TV or play any games until he took his medicine.  An hour later he was crying in his bed because he was so hot (his fever had spiked up to 103 again) that he couldn't get comfortable.  I took him into the bathroom and sat him on the floor.  I told him we would sit in the bathroom until he took his medicine.  He cried that he was tired, but he still refused.  We sat there from 8:30 until 9:45.  Archer came upstairs, and we had a quick consultation.  Wild Man was flushed and glassy-eyed from the fever.  He was barely staying awake, but he continued to refuse to take the medicine.  Archer picked him up and held his arms down, while I squirted the Motrin in the back of Wild Man's throat.  Wild Man cried, and I cried.  I hugged him until he calmed down, and then I put him to bed.  10 minutes later he was asleep.  I checked on him 30 minutes after that, and his fever had dropped. 

I know he needed the medicine, even just to make him sleep more comfortably, but I felt (and feel) horrible.  I feel like I violated some part of our relationship by forcing him to take the medicine.  As crazy (and as academic) as it sounds, I feel like I took away Wild Man's agency.  I did to him what my parents would have done to me--I said, "I am the parent, and I know what is best.  You are not allowed to have any control over your own body because I know what is best for you better than you do.  Now you must do as I say without asking any questions."  I do not want to be that kind of parent.  I do not.  I do not want to have to physically restrain my child to get him to take medicine.  But at the same time, I am the parent, and I do know that sometimes he is going to have to do things he doesn't want to do to get and/or stay healthy.  He is only 4, after all.  And as smart as he is, he doesn't understand illness or medicine. 

I know he needed the medicine, and I know there will be times in the future (like tonight) when he will need medicine.  I may have to do the same thing over again.  That said, I do not feel like I did the right thing at all, but I also don't know what else I could have done. 

4 comments:

p-duck said...

That's rough. We're going through a bit of that with A's ear drops right now; fortunately, she's cooperating. However, you said it best: "I am the parent, and I know what is best." As much as it sucks and as hard as it is, we sometimes do have to be "that" parent. I remember vividly having to help hold A down to get her eyebrow stitched up; I hated that I was included in the process. She was terrified and angry-- I'll never forget the look she gave me. But, she needed stitches, it had to be done. I feel like you did the right thing...

L said...

I wanted to have commented on fb, but didn't. My sons hated taking the syrupy medicine (generally tylenol), so they really like the "meltaways" or pills that you suck. They have two kinds here in the U.S. starting at age 3 and then from 6 up. And they have them for Motrin too. Are those available there in CA? Did you try them? I know for cough it's just the syrup, though...

AcadeMama said...

I say these things out of kindness and as a parent who also encourages open inquiry and mutual respect:

1) yes, you sound like an academic
2) yes, you did the right thing
3) yes, it's okay to sometimes say, "We can talk about the reason I'm doing X later, but for now you need to obey because I'm your mother."

It's not a concept a 4yr old can understand just yet, but the idea is that obedience doesn't mean you can't question. Rather, it means that sometimes a child must obey first and ask questions at a more appropriate time (like when you're not already running late). I've now held down 2 of my 3 kids while they've gotten IVs put in their arms, and I hated every second of it each time. But, it had to be done...The way I see it, that's why they make us Mommies so tough :)

Don't be so hard on yourself. There's a good chance that he'll grow up, hear this story, and wonder why you waited over an hour to give him the medicine.

M said...

Lilian, I've looked for those, to no avail. Believe me I will be stocking up during our next trip to the States, although I'm not convinced he'll take those any easier.

P-duck and AM, thanks for your feedback. I know we did the right thing, but sometimes I wish doing the right thing didn't have to upset the whole family quite so much.