Sunday, February 06, 2011

Brown-eyed Girl

I talk to my niece last night for a while.  She asked me lots of questions about college (she's 16) and about what courses she should take during her senior year.  I got the sense that she just wanted an adult to talk to, and since her mom, who is usually good at that sort of thing, has been dealing with her illness for the past few weeks, she hasn't had anyone to talk to.  She also asked if Archer and I could take her to visit some colleges during her spring break.  She is assuming that her mom won't be up to it.  I told her we would work something out.

She is such a great kid that I want to take care of her--as is Brown-eyed Boy, her younger brother.  But I don't want to overstep my boundaries as their aunt.  I tried to reassure her last night that Archer and I are always here for her, no matter what, no questions asked.  But I reminded her that we have to check with her mom before we make any definite plans about touring colleges without her.  I always thought being an aunt was supposed to be easy.

1 comment:

rented life said...

Helping out with college stuff shouldn't be over-stepping. I helped out my nieces, SIL was too busy, and the girls had questions. Given that we have some "insider knowledge" it is kind of natural to come to us. If mom does get upset you can back off while saying that because going to college is such a big transition, it makes sense for Brown-eyed girl to want to talk to someone who has a lot of experience working at one. Whether mom is healthy or not, it's hard to navigate the college process and know what to look for! Good luck, I really feel for you.