Friday, February 04, 2011

Random Updates

A lot is going on right now (as usual, right), and here are some updates.
  • The article I submitted last week has already been rejected.  Disheartening, yes.  Altogether unexpected, no.  The reader's report was helpful, and I think I can fix it.  It seems I'm not making it clear what I'm adding to the conversation.  So my argument isn't effective.  The reader said some very complimentary things about my writing, which is helpful.  I've asked a good friend to read the article.  At this point I'm too close to know what needs to be changed.  I trust this person a lot, so I'm trying to stay positive.
  • Archer now has two interview lined up for his field's major conference.  One of the schools is driving distance from Home State, the other is a member of the Ivy League.  Not sure how I feel about either of those things.
  • In reference to my cryptic post earlier this week, my sister, who has bi-polar, has suffered a major depressive episode, complicated by a change in medication.  After much consultation, I finally convinced her she needed someone there to help her.  My mom will get there tomorrow evening and will be there for a week.  She has also voluntarily checked herself into the hospital today, which I think is for the best.  I've been talking to my niece every day, and I think she and my nephew are doing ok.  It's hard to say though.  Brown-eyed girl's tendency is to be tough.  I considered going there all week, but when my mom stepped up, I decided not to go.  Now I'm feeling guilty about that decision.
  • I just received an email from the undergrad chair of one of the departments I teach for.  They want to modify an existing course to have it act as a pre-req for a special topics course I taught last fall--the first time such a course had ever been taught at CU.  The undergrad chair wants me to write the course description for the course.  What does this mean?  Is this good news, or just news?
  • I need a cocktail--in fact, I need several.

3 comments:

L said...

Oh, I'm sorry about what's going on with your sister. Don't feel guilty for not going since your mother already is going. If things continue to deteriorate maybe you can go at a later date.

I didn't even know Archer was on the job market -- I thought only you were. Are you guys planning to move if there's an offer? or are you mainly trying to have more leverage to negotiate with CU regarding a permanent position for you? Do you think you'd have more opportunities work-wise if you came back to the U.S.?

Feel free not to answer my questions, for some reason I'm in a "questioning" mood tonight.

P.S. Sorry about the article's rejection. I know how it feels and I guess that's why I just haven't been sending ANY articles for publication for years now. (and I obviously feel like a big loser, but that's another story). Really, though, it takes lot of courage to keep sending them out and I admire you for doing it. It's like Anastasia says -- keep throwing the spaghetti against the wall, some is bound to stick at the end...

M said...

Lilian, Archer is on the market primarily for leverage, but he now has interviews with two schools we're interested in--one primarily because of location and one because of the school it is. If he were to get an offer at either school, we'd have to seriously consider moving.

At one school, I think I would stand a good shot of a partner placement, at the other, no way in hell. More to the point, I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't want to work there. I think that a couple can have a family and a life if both work at an R1; I seriously doubt that is possible if both work at an Ivy.

L said...

Wow... interesting development. I think we should be very proud of our husbands' interviewing at Ivy schools, no? K was thrilled that he had what he calls "his Ivy-League Experience." He didn't want to work there, though. We should talk about this off blog.