Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good news

Yesterday's meeting was good.*  It was, in fact, as J predicted "all good."  CU is offering me a one-year term appointment, which is equivalent to a visiting position in the States.  The following academic year the position will most likely convert to a tenure-track position.  The dean used the phrase most likely, but when pressed, he said that he has already written the position into the budget and that he is 99% certain it will convert without an issue.  He also explained why the process has taken so long. 

First, as I said in the previous post, he is new to this position having taken it over from the previous dean who was all but fired.  It seems the previous dean was essentially living in Crazy Town (I've heard this from more than one person, although the current dean didn't say anything like that at all) and refusing to take the matter seriously despite Dr. English and Dr. Writing pursuing this option for almost 2 years.  Second, the current dean wanted to arrange the position so that he didn't have to run a search.  Because CU is unionized, every position must be advertised, even positions that are understood to be earmarked for specific individuals.  While the term appointment doesn't have to be advertised, the tenure-track position would have to be advertised, so the dean go the permission from the Union to convert the position (provided the funds are still available) without advertising.  This means I don't have to worry about interviewing.  The job is mine. 

There are still some details to iron out, but it will be a joint appointment between writing and English.  I should have all the details in the next two weeks, as well as a contract.  He asked about our interviews, and I was honest.  I said I have an on-campus that I have committed to going to.  Archer told him his initial interviews went well.  Archer also said that if this offer had been made two weeks ago that he may not have gone to the initial interviews, and I said I certainly wouldn't have accepted this on-campus.  The dean apologized for the delay.  Given that he's only been in the position since Dec. 31st, all of this has moved at lightning speed, for academia at least, and Archer and I are both aware of that. 

So where does that leave us now?  Last night I was seriously considering pulling out of the interview.  I mean, it seems really unlikely that SLAC is going to be able to offer anything comparable to this in terms of partner placement.  If I do get an offer and SLAC is able to offer Archer something, the pay will be substantially less, and we'll be teaching more.  That isn't such an issue for me, but it is an issue for Archer.  In every way, it would be a huge step down for him.  But I talked to Dr. Writing today for her advice, and she said, "Go on the interview and get the job.  Yes, it's a risk for us, especially given the school's location, but it also gives Dr. English and me more leverage.  You can be assured we will go back to the dean and argue that the position should be offered as tenure-track now."  I really like this woman.  She has gone to bat for me (and essentially my entire family) a lot.  I know that there is something in it for her (she point blank told me today that she sees me as instrumental in a new major that she and Dr. English are trying to develop b/w the two departments), but she still has gone above and beyond for me.

As for the other schools and the possibility that we could get offers elsewhere, Archer and I talked about this a lot last night, too much in fact.  Here is where I stand.
  • For me, the "Ivy" is off the table except as a bargaining tool.  This school will not offer me anything given my research profile (in a lot of ways, I'm freaking lucky that CU has offered me this position).  As attractive as "Ivy" is (and for me, the location is extremely attractive as it is the same city that our best friends live in), I don't want to give up what I have at CU to start all over again.  Archer agrees.  If he's offered an on-campus, he'll go, but if he's offered the job, he would likely use it as a bargaining tool for him and his department.  And we both realize that he may feel very, very different if he actually gets an offer.
  • The SLAC is also unlikely.  We spent a lot of time looking at the website today, and while it has some really great programs, it is very small.  Archer would be giving up a lot--research funding and graduate students, to name a few.  I wouldn't have graduate students either, but as I've never had graduate students, that isn't as much of an issue for me.  The location is really attractive.  It's equal distance from my extended family and our families in Home State.  It is close to several of our good friends as well.  I'm going to the interview with an open mind b/c if I fall in love and they can come offer Archer something I do think we'd consider it--especially as, even though we'd be taking a big pay cut, the cost of living is so much lower.  That said, it is primarily attractive for personal reasons, not professional ones.
  • PS, the private school close to Home State, is still an option.  Archer should know by Monday or Tuesday whether he gets an on-campus, and if he gets a job offer, this is a school we'll have to seriously consider.  The pay scale is comparable to CU's, and there is a fair amount of research money.  Archer wouldn't have graduate students, but I would.  It is also in a phenomenal location in terms of friends and family as well as in a key location for both of us to do a whole lot of archival work. 
But for now, I'm feeling really happy.  If nothing else happens, we know we will be in CU Land.  And I can live with that.  In fact, that makes me really happy.  As I wrote yesterday, CU Land feels more like home every day.  I think being happy professionally will go a long way to alleviate the loneliness I experience from time to time.  I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.   I know how impossible it can be for an academic couple to find work at the same university, especially given this economic climate.  Even if I suck up my interview next week and Archer hears nothing from the two schools he interviewed with, we have the security we've been working for.  I also have a job as an Assistant Professor--with my own office as of July 1st!!  That is pretty damn awesome.

*I'm sorry that I didn't post this yesterday for those of you following my career drama.  Bear is getting over strep, and he was a bit of a bear last night, no pun intended.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I've been checking your blog religiously waiting for news. HOORAY! And by all means, interview and bargain away. It's all leverage. I am very pleased they finally came through with this for you.

M said...

I cannot tell you how many times today I thought I know that Anastasia and Lilian and RL are waiting for news. I started the post last night, but Bear had other plans.

Thanks for all your support. It means a lot.

Anonymous said...

Bear is the priority, of course, but I was eager to hear and hoping the news was good. :)

L said...

WOO-HOOO!!!! This is FANTASTIC! I'm so so thrilled for you! I think all the over-thinking (I read the fb update before this post!) is more than warranted in this case, you really need to know where you stand regarding each and every option.

I kind of with I had blogged our decision making process more in detail, but it was pretty hard for us... and I don't know how much I can share without basically disclosing where we work.

Thanks for letting us know how things stand. and...

YOUR OWN OFFICE!! That's awesome. I'm officially jealous now! ;) CONGRATULATIONS!

L said...

correction: "I kind of wish" not with :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! This is a good time, enjoy it, you deserve every option!

KateClancy said...

HOOORRAAAAAAY! I'm so glad for you, M :).

rented life said...

Yippie! I read this before I went to teach but didn't have time to comment then! Like Anastasia I kept checking here, hoping! Congrats! Hope Bear is feeling better.

M said...

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. They (and you) all mean a lot to me.

And this round of antibiotics seems to be doing the trick. Bear is snot free for the first time since we returned from Italy.

AcadeMama said...

So happy you finally have some good news and something to look forward to!! Congrats :)